Schizophrenia.com

It’s kinda cool to be skitzo

Psychosis isn’t a one size fits all. For some people it is a living hell where they can’t function at all due to a constant barrage of hallucinations and distorted reality and they struggle to find the right medications.

For others it’s not so bad, their meds work well and they have found good ways to cope and live their best lives. Be it volunteering, holding down a job, or just being at peace with their situation.

I think a lot of us fall somewhere in the middle, but I definitely think it is okay for people to think its cool and okay to have this illness if thats what they experience, and I think its okay for people to think it is the worst thing that has happened to them.

Psychosis is a very personal thing. Its like a fingerprint or a snowflake, meaning that my experience with psychosis is personal to me, and it is an individual experience. It isn’t right for anyone else to tell me how I should experience it or feel about it.

2 Likes

im sorry i was being really catty. my bad @labratmat.

1 Like

You don’t have to listen to me @Wave. I’m a former R.N., not a psychiatrist.

1 Like

Yeah, it was bitchin when they chained me to a table. Wicked.

Like @Squanchy said… everybody’s experience with it is different

2 Likes

I firmly believe that too.

1 Like

I don’t like schizophrenia…:no_mouth:

I don’t have schizophrenia.

People on these forums seem uncommonly unaggressive & un/non prideful, or nice. (I am also a member of a cycling forum. It is very different.)

Some people on these forums seem to know things, that very few people know, things that scare me, into being a little nicer.

I suspect that some people that are very famous and not on these forums may have been a little psychotic (Dali, David Bowie, David Lynch, and Douglas Harding maybe, and that is just a few Ds).

1 Like

Nothing cool about it – for me it’s psychological torture

So… this is off topic, but i read your title/bio/caption and it says you were psychotic once… do you know the difference between being psychotic and having schizophrenia?

No. I don’t know. I guess I just meant, I felt better after a while.

1 Like

Ah well that’s good!

Ha. I thought you were going to tell me the difference.

I don’t think it’s cool to have schizophrenia. I’d rather I never had any experience of mental illness at all. Mind you I remember that quote I read on someone who had schizophrenia’s profile saying “sanity was a nasty disease” and I tend to agree. There’s no shame in having suffered from mental illness and once the condition dies down there is a lot you can do to make your life better. I do agree with the OP though there are lots of people who pretend to be suffering from schizophrenia to look cool.

Schizophrenia is a psychosis that is persistent for more than 6 months or so. A psychotic episode is a brief period of psychosis that is not permanent.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.