Is this bad?

I feel like I’m just waiting to be approved for SSDI so I can quit my job. The fact that I can barely work 2 days a week is so depressing to me. I don’t want to be one of those people who takes advantage of the “system” but at the same time, I don’t really feel like I have a choice.

I still feel conflicted with it if that helps any. The main thing is it doesn’t have to be a permanent situation and the money helps pay for courses, tdocs, treatments etc which can be expensive. Also If I remember rightly you seem to be struggling to do more than three days work and there’s no way you can live on that. I think the main think is try not to take it for granted when you get it.

Are you applying under your parents’ income or your own?

If you need it then it is justified. There are a lot of people taking advantage of the system. You’re not. I’m on disability, and I don’t feel guilty about it. It’s not like I am getting rich off it.

There are almost 9 million people on disability and there are less than 1% fraud claims. As someone on SS I’m pretty damn tired of hearing people ■■■■■ about all these imaginary people playing or taking advantage of the system.

4 Likes

Won’t working while you are making a claim make it more difficult to get it? I thought you had to already be out of work.

Well said, Malvok.

The demonization of benefit claimants is a disgusting tactic which the Tories use to create a smokescreen to conceal their poor treatment of working people, many of whom are part time, on zero hours contracts and are also claiming benefits. Many disabled people do try to work but they often get ‘parked’ by the system. How many ex-Remploy workers actually got new work?

Best wishes,
Padster

Everyone has difficult times sometimes - don’t beat yourself up. Just recognize that maybe you need some help for a temporary period of time - until you start feeling better - then you can move ahead. You can see the same thing in many of the people on these forums - people have a difficult time, take a little time off to recover - and then get productive again and happier.

Nobody’s life is just a straight line upwards towards whatever you define as “success”. Real life is a meandering path up, down and all around .

5 Likes

I wasn’t refering to people on disability. I meant people who bilk the healthcare system out of millions of dollars peddling pain pills, and stuff like that - like some doctor filing a huge number of bogus medicare claims. I have no doubt that the vast number of people on disability are legitament.

My own, I think.

Thats pretty intreresting, and a little comforting to hear.

If you’re applying on your own, you may not be qualified for SSDI. You have to have been working for a certain length of time and have enough work credits.

Well I’ve been working for 5 years. I used to be able to work 4 days a week, 25 hours. Anyway, I don’t even know. I’m probably filing under my parents since I still live with them, but I couldn’t tell you for sure. I don’t do any of the paperwork, my mom does it all.

i am on disability for the first time ever, it is hard to accept the money, but it has allowed me time to heal…i expect to be on it for another 6 months that is it.
take care

2 Likes