Is sugar the reason for being overweight

If I try cut sugar out my life will the fat just fall off?

1 Like

Problyā€¦ When i cut out sugar i lose, when i indulge, i gainā€¦

1 Like

No, itā€™s only when you put it in your mouth.

5 Likes

Itā€™ll help! Itā€™s simple mechanics with food. Energy versus use. If your not exercising most food will make you gainā€¦then thereā€™s size as in portion. keep that in perspective and youā€™ll help losing.

Itā€™s not easy with anitpsychotics. Eating and drinking well will lead to better outcomesā€¦and exercise will help too!

1 Like

I would say too much sugar is a bad thing.

But if you want to lose weight stop eating too much and get more exercise.

Eat sugar in proportion to your amount of exercise. The more sugar you consume the more you need to use it as energy, otherwise it stores as fat. Also, simple sugars carbs as opposed to complex carbs raise the blood sugar faster. So if you want more sugar, exercise and be careful not to eat that which makes your blood sugar spike, as it plays havoc with your insulin and this over time could cause diabetes and obesity.

Thatā€™s at least how I understand it from Patrick Holfordā€™s books! :smile:

3 Likes

Nope it will not but glycemic peaks make you hungry.

1 Like

Iā€™m doing the ketogenic diet at the moment and have lost the stone I put on since starting aripiprazole. Itā€™s a good iet for me.

I am addicted to sugar. I simply canā€™t cut it out from my diet. If I tried to do that, I would get even more obsessed with it and probably develop a binge/ purge cycle again. And no way do I want that. So, I incorporate sugar into my calorie counting scheme. I eat sugar in moderation. That is best for me.

3 Likes

Sugar is notoriously bad for your health. Did you know when lab rats were exposed to both sugar and cocaine at the same time they always picked the sugar.

I mean, sugar is super amazing and I love it. But itā€™s ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  up that a small bottle of coke has 13 spoonfuls of sugar in it.

One day I want to be off sugar. Sugar has been the main source of my diet for years. I think it helps contribute to my low mood as well.

I canā€™t imagine not having pudding. Or chocolate. Or nerd candy (basically just coloured rocks of sugar) so I will almost cut back completely but still treat myself once in a while.

I recommend you watch ā€˜sugarā€™ on Netflix. Itā€™s an amazing documentary. (Iā€™ve never liked health documentaries, or even the subject of health itself, however this movie really blew my mind)

The reason why sugar isnā€™t talked about like cigarettes or whatever else is because it is an (almost 100) billion dollar industry. They donā€™t really want people to stop buying their products. Big corporations really benefit from the sugar industry.

I might sound silly, but there is a LOT of evidence that can back me up.

Life is short though, so donā€™t worry about having a slice of cake once in a while.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think there is any evidence that sugar, in moderation, is harmful and that you can compare it to cigarettes.

2 Likes

Of course it isnā€™t. in moderation

Good luck having less then 25 grams of sugar a day with how much there is in the majority of food available. Lol. :joy:

Not to mention many people who are struggling financially have a hard time purchasing healthy foods. Junk food is cheaper.

2 Likes

25 grams is 2 fruits, you can eat more than that. :slight_smile:

Since I suppose I have to site my sources

Anyways, in moderation, pretty much nothing is unhealthy. However you should maybe take into consideration that the large majority of Americans exceeded their daily sugar limit over 3x

A doctor who wrote a book on nutrition said this

ā€œWhite refined sugar-is not a food. It is a pure chemical extracted from plant sources, purer in fact than cocaine, which it resembles in many ways. Its true name is sucrose and its chemical formula is C12H22O11.The chemical formula for cocaine is C17H21NO4. Sugarā€™s formula again is C12H22O11.For all practical purposes, the difference is that sugar is missing the ā€œNā€, or nitrogen atom.ā€

Iā€™m not an expert on chemistry though so I wonā€™t say for sure if it is similar to cocaine or not. I believe chemistry is more complicated then that.

Companies are putting profits above consumer health by making food that tastes sweet so that we buy more. This is immoral and in the long run it will cost taxpayers billions of dollars to treat those suffering from obesity and its related problems.

Within the United States alone, studies show that dental treatment costs run at over 151 billion dollars. Thatā€™s a lot of money to miss out on.

In general the whole sugar industry is sketchy as hell, and havenā€™t been fully honest about scientific studies in the past.

Sugar can cause quite a few health problems, just like smoking does.

Iā€™m not saying sugar is going to give you lung cancer like cigarettes. (It can lead to cancer though)

-But Iā€™m saying maybe we should look into health labelling sugary foods like we do cigarettes. Maybe change our mindset to think that one biggulp is similar to smoking a cigarette or two.

After all, many scientists believe sugar limits shouldnā€™t be self-imposed. They want to see it regulated, much like alcohol and tobacco.

They believe the same regulations, including taxes and limited access, that helped reduce cigarette smoking, from about 43 percent of adults in 1965 to now less than 20 percent, could work for sugar.

Sugar can cause health effects like obesity, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, chronic inflammation, fatty liver disease. This also increases the chance of having a stroke. It increases the risk of Bad Cholesterol and high Triglycerides.

Sugar is very addicting. Iā€™m sure you know this, so I wonā€™t bother trying to find a source for that one.

Natural sugar found in honey or fruit is of course fine. However there are at least 61 different names for sugar listed on food labels, and these arenā€™t naturally formed.

Hereā€™s another study, just for fun.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/871064

2 Likes

:smirk: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :sweat_smile:

Anyways, this is all coming from a girl who puts sugar on toast. Who eats spoonfuls of hot chocolate powder, or ice tea mix. Or half a jar of Nutella with a spoon.

I live for sugar. Iā€™m hopeful one day I wonā€™t anymore.

2 Likes

Here in Portugal we have new taxes in high sugar products. Itā€™s a big revenue in our taxes. Buying nutellas, peanut butter, cokes and stuff like that comes more expensive for the government on the long run with health treatmentsā€¦I agree with that tax :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes I hope Canada will one day do this too. My friend lived in germany for a year and she said the amount of sugar we have in our foods over here is illegal in germany.

She said that the same chocolate bars we have in Canada were available in germany but with much less sugar. At first a lot of things tasted bitter but she quickly got used to having less sugar and became much healthier.

She had healthy hair, and glowing skin, and she lost quite a lot of weight. When she came back everything tasted disgustingly sweet. It took a while for her to get used to the foods again in Canada.

2 Likes

I made a cake for an office party and I was left with half of it now. Do you think I should immediately dump it in the trash? Itā€™s carrot cake with creamy white icing.

Sounds tasty! I wouldnā€™t waste the cake, I think it stays good for some time. For sure a few days at least.