Is schizophrenia a form of RETARDATION?

whenever i hear the word iq, i cringe

seriously, accomplish something, affect change, encourage others to

dont sit around gloating over the results of some test and do nothing beneficial at all

your iq isnt a measurement of ur human worth

work ethic, adaptability, social skills, consistency, all can make desirable things happen

3 Likes

My IQ in college was 135. Now it’s between 129-133. After about 25 years of sz.

1 Like

I get around 75 average on non-verbal tests. I did a sample 'Wonderlic test and scored 39/50(answered 44 before time ran out) One conversion to IQ is 2 x Wonderlic +60 which equals 39x2=78+60= 138. Mensa’s Wonderlic version places it in the 98th percentile ie around 132-134-15 SD.

It very much depends how non-verbally orientated the test is.

“The Full Scale IQ is an averaging of these five scales, so it’s only meaningful if the scales are consistent. If a child is superior in verbal reasoning, but below average in visual spatial skills, the full scale number looks average. It’s akin to having an average body temperature because your hair is on fire while your feet are in a bucket of ice water.”

In my own case I know I took a cognitive hit and there has been some intellectual decline. Things I could see clearly and intuitively in the past are now much more difficult to grasp with more effort.

An intellectual disability would include an IQ <70. I know you wear your underpants over your trousers while flying through the air but still…

Seriously- I do think one’s intellect can take a bit of a hit with severe mental illness. It differs from day to day with me. Some days it’s a struggle to think clearly. It can be hard to organise my thoughts. Some/a lot of that is to do with executive functioning deficits.

My sister teaches kids with disability’s and has two kinds now with schizophrenia with a form of retardation on top of other behavers problems. this are hard kids to work with. hope to get any thing to stick in there minds in a good way. and help way. there are some % out there. and we as schizophrenia need to know we are compared to are lesser chain. so feel free to look at this as a study of brain behaver in degrees.

1 Like

Oh, I’m not intellectually disabled, but I know I’ve had some shaved off the top. I used to be able to read equations and “see” them. Now I can’t since the disease rolled through my head like a bunch of friggin’ Panzers

It was called dementia praecox at one time.

A question for you as you have Asperger’s. Do you have higher non-verbal/performance intelligence or verbal intelligence? Or is yours pretty much even ?

I don’t know? The testing I did this past year showed that I struggle with verbal performance somewhat, but I still come out ahead of much of the regular population. I’ve put a lot of work into it, though. Over the past 20 years I’ve…

• Participated in Toastmasters meetings
  • Taught classes
  • Spoken regularly in 12 Step meetings
  • Started and create content for an online Net station

…and so on. I’ve also made a point of learning to read body language fairly accurately and can even control my own well enough to diminish a lot of the non-verbal cues that would unsettle others (my main issue remaining – am I making too much eye contact or not enough?).

Apparently if you put me in a room with 100 other people my age, I’ll be ahead of 91 of them (ususally).

bet you never dance a walls

That’s one I struggle with.

This is the same as saying is retardation a form of schizophrenia. No, it’s different

me too…………….I have to only when I need them to concentrate at what I am saying

I’m not sure what you mean by this?

dancing in places , clubs school evince etc

1 Like

I DJ professionally so I’m at a dance at least once a month on average, but you won’t find me on the dance floor. I’m behind the mixing board pulling the strings on the puppets. Crowds rile my symptoms up so I always pay for these functions after the fact.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.