Is psychiatry a sham......?

I call psychiatry an amazing ‘crowd-pleasing’ talker. Their solutions don’t work and medicines make u dependent. They tell u this is your problem, on the basis of very little information. There is no litmus test that confirms ur mental condition.
They sound more like agony aunts, than doctors.

Who agrees?

Psychiatry as we know it today is a fairly young profession. Since it’s a matter of science and medicine of the mind, for most of human history it has been held back by religious dogma. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with religion, but as so much of it has been dogmatic and political in nature for so much of our species’ existence, it has only been relatively recently in history that psychiatry has been able to get support, funding and so on to start make advancements in understanding and medicine regarding ailments of the brain that affect lucidity. I mean think about it, even as recently as the twentieth century, the “asylums” for the mentally ill were really just prisons and the medical staff had no idea what they were doing, patients were treated horribly and the majority of the populace still believed it was more likely to be something along the lines of demons/voodoo/etc than an illness of the brain. Then progress itself is still slow to this day because we want to balance being humane with making progress.

So I mean, yeah, those of us alive right now, we’re still in the guinea pig phase. The medicines are far from perfect, and pharma companies are still aggressively competing to make better medication, because whenever a new medication that works better and has less severe side effects comes out, it dominates the market. And then while the medicine is still being refined and developed, they can’t be cutting open live people’s skulls to look and poke around inside our brains, risking our lives just to see if they can learn what might be going on. At best they can do stuff like real-time MRI but it’s expensive and not common practice yet.

Plus the whole field of mental health professions as we know it today is pretty young, for the same reasons as seen above. It’s all still a work in progress. Like you’ve got debates going on between all these professionals about things like… So is a personality disorder different from a mental illness? Many say yes, but then many acknowledge that psychology is inherently connected to the brain organ. Then you get some recent studies where it shows that emotional abuse in childhood is actually causing certain parts of the brain to not develop fully, by differences of around 3mm (which is a lot for a part of the brain). So then it’s like okay, is this mental illness, is it brain damage, do we call it something else? Then they’re looking at things like… Can medication help this? Can certain types of therapy help these parts of the brain develop more, or can some types of therapy help to re-wire some parts of the brain? When does a patient need both, therapy and medication? How do we identify comorbidity problems in a family?

Just very messy, complicated stuff, and the professions are still so young, still works in progress. I think what really matters is having a psychiatrist who is a good person. Are they compassionate? Do they treat you with dignity and respect? Will they let you be a part of your treatment plan as much as possible? Will they take the time to discuss your concerns, instead of just condescending or dismissing you? And so on. They can’t know everything yet, humanity itself just isn’t there yet, we’re still learning about mental health and there is a lot we still don’t understand. Psychiatrists have to do the best they can with the research and medications they have. But the quality of their character still makes a huge difference.

3 Likes

I agree.

I entered psychiatry with temporary problems (fear of a scary ex, hormonal issues after pregnancy). Instead of helping me solve those problems, they ignored them, made them worse and added new problems.

They didn’t even took the time to see what my real problems (and their causes) were. How can you solve a problem if you don’t know what it is? They refused to help out with psychotherapy, EMDR, practical help, aid in caring for my son, etc. They added extra trauma of being ignored, violently locked up, mistreated, put in 4 point restraints, etc. They also added medication addiction and all sorts of medication damage to body and mind, including med-induced psychosis. Their solutions made me worse, never better.

I don’t feel psychiatry is progressing. I feel it hasn’t even started to develop. As a genuine help to people who need help and as a genuine medical science.

Their solutions don’t work

Their solutions are working for me, and the majority of people on this website.

and medicines make u dependent.

If you have diabetes, then you have to take medicine for life. It’s not a dependency, it’s a treatment.

1 Like

I do understand it does work for some other people. I also do understand people do need medication sometimes, because there just isn’t a better solution at the moment.

But I don’t mean to insult you, I never really understand the comparison to diabetes and diabetes medication.

• Diabetes is a medically proven physical disease. Nobody has ever proven I had or have a physical problem (instead of just responding normally to abnormal circumstances or having a psychological trauma). Before being started on diabetes meds, the doctor tests whether you actually have diabetes. Nobody ever tested what problem I had. Not even by decently asking me about my symptoms, let alone doing physical tests. Maybe I had a problem with my diet, my hormones, or just a normal response to something scary.
  • Diabetes medication offers a real solution to this proven problem. You give people insulin because they are proven to lack the capability to produce that. It wasn’t clear whether I had a problem with my brain or what that problem was, and whether the meds would solve that, before they started me on meds that changed my brain chemistry.
  • Diabetes meds don’t cause or worsen diabetes, like antipsychotics cause and worsen psychosis, even in people who have never been psychotic before. They did in me.
  • Before starting someone on diabetes meds, I hope the doctor honestly tells people what the benefits and adverse effects of the medication are. Especially when they are as devastating as the adverse effects of antipsychotics. My “doctors” where never honest about the adverse effects and damage antipsychotics do. In diabetes there is informed consent. In psychiatry there isn’t (or not for me at least).
  • Diabetes meds don’t alter your personality and your capability to feel love and joy and make you indifferent to all your experiences.
  • I don’t believe the research about diabetes meds is as flawed as that for antipsychotics.
  • A diabetes doctor doesn’t violently force patients to use diabetes meds against their will. He also doesn’t have to, because the diabetes meds make people actually feel better instead of worse.
1 Like

Psychiatry and the medications for treating severe mental illnesses are far from perfect.
But seeing a psychiatrist and taking the meds is really the only choice that we have.

The meds do come with some pretty Hefty side effects but they do work.

3 Likes

The meds are decent at preventing big psychotic breaks I guess. They’re bad at dealing with the daily symptoms like negative symptoms. And if you have other big health issues besides schizophrenia, boy do you end up with a lot of health issues when you deal with those side effects…

Necessary, but very flawed drugs. Though there are definitely other severe illnesses with their rough treatments. Diseases in general are very mysterious, and I think the big greed in the medical industry doesn’t help.

1 Like