Is it scary changing antipsychotics

Do you get scared it will make things worse in terms of medication efficicacy/ their ability to do their job?
Was your experience of changing antipsychotics worth it

Sometimes. I like Vraylar. It was worth it.

1 Like

In the hospital, I was placed on 300mg of seroquel and 10mg of haldol. It was seriously the best I’d felt in years. Then my home pdoc said that I was on too much medicine, and how, if he had been on all these meds, he’d be on the floor. So my pdoc did away with the haldol and upped my seroquel to 500mg per day. For about 2 weeks I think, I was petrified. I was so stressed about relapsing that I was experiencing symptoms from said stress. So moral of the story, try not to stress yourself out when changing APs. Just let the med do its job.

1 Like

I was just switched from risperdal to Seroquel and I am very nervous my Psych doc also changed a few other meds around on me. So far I’m still having psychotic symptoms and I feel groggy and cloudy all day.

1 Like

Don’t stress it, you don’t want stress induced psychosis.

1 Like

I went bananas after I switched from risperidone to Vraylar.
I was involuntarily commited twice within a month a part.
This was 3 years ago.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve had horrible, horrible reactions to medications. Fortunately the most recent one is doing only good things. I’m not scared to take a new AP if it’s a pill because the negative effects won’t last long, but the next doctor to force an injection of month-long AP medication on me is gonna get his lights knocked out.

1 Like

Yes, it’s worth it. Yes, it’s terifying. You can’t predict how a medicine will affect you, though a doctor who listens well and knows meds can help. I’ve reacted differently to a number of them, but it was worth it to keep trying and find my current med combo.

1 Like

Yes, once pdoc reduced my clozapine by 50% due to weight gain and added abilify 10mg.

I went psychotic after reducing clozapine and had to increase it again. There was no change in appetite though.

1 Like

I have changed 5 / 6 times as I refused Clozapine.

I am just glad I am not on Olanzapine anymore. I hate that drug.

I have settled on Amisulpride as I have no side effects yet.

1 Like

Not really since most APs doesnt benefit me and i ended up having to control symptoms my own, though i do feel something slightly positive with abilify

1 Like

No. I’ve always tried for best function over symptoms and side effects.

Risperdal was great bringing mind into control. Got raised prolactin so switched to zyprexa. Great move. I had poverty of thought and speech on risperdal and got really sore nipples. Zyprexa was great until…

Gained most of my weight on risperdal but still worried so gave abilify a chance. No good although I tried it for a long time…like 8 months till I figured I’d do better on zyprexa. Doh!

Back on zyprexa and not moving till a really great med comes along!

So no! give it a go if your not that well functioning. It’s worthy to have a go…but sometimes that isn’t so easy getting back on things!

1 Like

If a person switches antipsychotics a lot is there a tenancy to have to increase doasge of meds over time by any chance… From experience?
Thanks

1 Like

Only if you go back.

Sometimes going back won’t give you the same function you had on the same dose. It sometimes doesn’t even work.

It happened to me. I took 50mgs or so of effexor antidepressant and I was good. Tried some other things over some months and came back to it. Have been on 300mgs for years. IT’s the minimum that works.

Talk to your shrink. A good one has an idea about what works. It really is a craft at that level! As too zyprexa I just went back to normal dose!

1 Like

Thanks rogueone

1 Like

I think when I changed meds last year, I would say I was more skeptical than scared. It turned out for the best though. Why, are you changing meds @anon90843118, or are you just wondering about it?

1 Like

@anon98459728
I’mconsidering it atm because of the symptoms I’m experiencing which are making life harder for me.
I’m weighing out pros and cons of changing it though because who knows the next antipsychotic could be worse.

1 Like

Was your med change worth it admiralbarkley?

1 Like

Yes, I have way more clarity on Latuda than I did before. I only have minimal delusions and negative symptoms at the moment, think I am going to talk to my CPN about a residual sz diagnosis at my next appointment.

1 Like