Is it possible to lose weight on olanzapine?

Anyone else lost weight on olanzapine? What about going vegan? Can that help to lose weight while on olanzapine?

1 Like

I lost weight on my AP’s dozens of times. I unfortunately gained it back and more.

1 Like

My weight before antipsychotics was 180. While on 27.5mg olanzapine the lowest weight I got to was 198lb. I followed a healthy diet and walked regularly but still couldn’t get below 198. I think it messes with your metabolism and it’s not possible to lose all the weight gained. You can lose some though

1 Like

Personally, I have a very hard time losing weight on an AP. One time I tried to lose weight, and I went from 235 to 215, but I gained it back pretty quickly.

1 Like

Even on olanzapine?

How long were you on the olanzapine before you started to gain weight?

What did you do lose weight specifically? I really want to lose this weight!

Has anyone else switched to latuda and lost weight? I’m thinking about switching to it and I want to know who else has lost weight while taking it?

not for me. i have come to terms with my weight. my happiness and stability is more important

1 Like

What is smh? 151515

1 Like

I’m sorry, but on Zyprexa? No.

1 Like

I gained about 30lb within three months of starting it. I can’t say exactly but actually it may have been right after starting it (within the first week)

1 Like

You should look into Metformin. I started taking it when I got to 198lb and studies have shown that it helps you lose weight.

1 Like

I’m on 15mg olanzapine, varying doses for 20 years. The only time I lost weight or didn’t gain was while on an antidepressant. Celexa made me lose weight till I was scary skinny. I am now on sertraline which my weight gain has slowed but not exactly stopped. I also on rabeprazole for GERD. I haven’t got diabetes yet and both my parents have it, my mom on insulin 3 times a day.

1 Like

Great point! 151515

Smh means “shaking my head”.

Thanks, I will look into that.

Wow, sorry to hear that. Im thinking about switching to Latuda.

Gosh, I really don’t remember. I know I drank a lot of 1% fat milk, but I do that when I’m off a diet too. Every person’s system is different. Some people can do pretty well on a low protein diet, but I can’t. It can help to get a lot of protein when you’re dieting - tuna, cottage cheese, and defatted meat are all good. Protein stays in your stomach longer, so you don’t feel quite as hungry as you do when you don’t get it. I’ve never tried one, but I think some of these low calorie diet programs like Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig are good. They take a more gradual approach and try to change your eating habits long term.

1 Like

going vegan has to be a whole food sugar free diet
no point otherwise
it’s difficult with sugars or processed foods to lose weight
lots of vegan food is high calorie
concentrate on veggies and whole grain and fruit and nuts and seeds but even that gets boring if you’re hungry, even when committed to cooking all the time… bulk of your diet matters more than the odd day but also be careful on the odd days
also never restricting or under eating is important

1 Like