Is it possible to lose 150lb with sz, meds and without surgery?

I’m back to calorie tracking on MyFitnessPal this morning. Need to get back on the wagon.

2 Likes

My friend lost a lot of weight with a good app + psychological support to get over the stuff that made him sensitive to overeating. Hope you make it @shutterbug, good luck.

The problem here is familial sabotage. They keep stocking the pantry with treats that I have a hard time staying out of.

Wife: I don’t know why I have such a hard time losing weight.

Me: [ looks in pantry full of high carb and high calorie snacks ]

2 Likes

Hahaha that sounds familiar…but then with me being like your wife. Self-sabotaging. Though I seem to have grown self-restraint a bit, lately.

Can’t you just secretly throw away all the bad stuff and do the grocery shopping the next months? Or is that a weird idea? She’ll hate you for it, probably. But then…it would help! :slight_smile:

I am on 5mg risperidone.

2 Likes

Oh, I’ve tried that. Fight territory. I’m trying to crank up the exercise as much as I can within my limitations.

@Aziz, don’t know what risperidone does for weight… but I know you have a lot of negatives making it harder. Is there anything or anyone outside yourself to support? App, MH worker, family, making a topic here? Sometimes it helps if someone else gives you a kick in the butt, I know of experience.

@shutterbug, haha ah…you tried. Hope the exercising works. Good luck. I hope my keto diet now helps…if only because I cut out all the processed food and sugars. I walk everywhere too now, to town, to the station. My friend invited me to train for a big event…they do 1900km of bicycling in 8 or 9 days. It’s next year. I’m undecisive…don’t think I’ll have the discipline to get that fit.

4 Likes

Mine will have to fit within my calorie targets. Hopefully that will limit the issue.

2 Likes

I think @Wave lost some weight on medication. I had a lipoma removed from my stomach several years ago and the doctor specialized in those surgeries that make peoples stomachs smaller. I forget what it’s called.

3 Likes

Gastric bypass surgery?

1 Like

i can lose 60 lbs in 4 months whenever i stop taking olanzapine like when i switched to geodon or invega. but for invega i stalled indefinitely after that first 60 lbs. when i did it on geodon i reached a healthy weight and had no need to lose anymore than 60

1 Like

Yes, I think it’s possible. But you are going to have to sacrifice to do it. You are going to have to be willing to control your diet and/or exercise significantly I would think. It’s all a matter of whether or not you have the will to control your diet and exercise, I think.

I know it’s not easy though, I need to lose 50lbs myself.

2 Likes

Maybe. I don’t know. I thought it was odd that he was doing it but the military sent me to him. The Army hospital wouldn’t do it.

2 Likes

Bariatric surgery

1 Like

It’s possible. Just about everything’s possible with a plan.

1 Like

I managed to lose 66lbs on risperidone in 3 years of hard physical job and daily erercise at a gym (running 10k every second day) i stopped due to relapse and regained the weight within months. To lose 150lvs would take at least 6 years of constant exercise and avoiding junk food

1 Like

I lost 80lbs by quitting Olanzapine and Venlafaxine and switching to Latuda, Trazodone and clonazepam.

No exercise or diet changes necessary. My metabolism came back once I quit those 2 meds and the weight melted away on its own.

2 Likes

I had understood that all antipsychotics were fattening.
Your comment gives me hope.

1 Like

I lost 50 lbs. and have been keeping it off for the last 7 years all with sza, meds, and no surgery. So, it can be done. I just drink LOTS of noncaloric fluids like black coffee, iced tea, and sparkling water instead of eating between meals.
@Aziz

2 Likes

Liposuction? 15151515

1 Like