Is it normal to be a bit more anxious when you start anti-depressive trt?

Hi, hi!
so what happens to me lately is that I feel a bit more alive since I started the lithium. I was always anxious, very anxious among people but now its like its more on the surface. Is it normal when you start a treatment against depression? How was it for you? I just want to believe that its a normal process to ‘‘revive’’ me after so much time of despair and numbness…
Its still manageable my anxiety, but it remains important still.
hugs

1 Like

lithium is a mood stablelizer not an antidepressant.

2 Likes

I know finally, but my doc gave it to me against my depression. It treats depression in bipolar too, you know.

1 Like

Somebody who turned anxious in the beginning of an antidepressant or some lifting meds? will this settle down?

Hi @Anna1
I’m glad that the lithium is starting to help.
It is an excellent Antidepressant type medication too.
Good luck with it sweetie.

1 Like

@Wave, no, its not working really… I am anxious now and I wish its the ‘‘reviving’’ effect but I am scared my anxiety will remain…Do you think the anxiety from the lithium will settle down?

1 Like

Lithium shouldn’t be making you anxious.
It usually has a calming effect.
You just might be naturally anxious.

yes, that’s what everybody says. My anxiety is the same in fact, but now its like its more on the surface, not so deep in me… But its the same. But against my depression, the things are still the same. Its been one month and a week that I am on it. I hope that it will work in the future, idk…

1 Like

Yeah maybe it’s gett better @Anna1

With most antidepressants it’s normal to start out with anxiety because of their effect on seratonin. In the beginning your brain’s seratonin receptors measure that there is too much seratonin being produced due to the med and quickly gets it all “cleaned up” so as a result you’ll end up having sort of anxiety crashes when this happens. However over the course of weeks these sensors will be densensitized and the med will be able to properly regulate your seratonin. But I don’t know if lithium does any of this as I don’t know how it works.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.