Is it legal for a pdoc to do this?

I believe my pdoc has taken a story I wrote that he asked me to give him to read, and he is going to use it as evidence against me getting my disability pay. I’ve been getting that pay for twenty years. He never said anything to me about trying to get my disability pay taken, but I strongly suspect he’s going to try to do that. If I do lose my disability pay I will have no choice but to come off my med’s, because the only jobs I’m good at are outside jobs, and my AP’s won’t allow me to deal with very cold or very hot weather. Is it legal for a pdoc to take something of the patient’s that the pdoc asked for, and use it as evidence against his client receiving public support? What are the legalities of that? What about the professional ethics?

1 Like

What’s your story about, if you dont mind me asking?

Actually there were two of them. One of them is about these two young men who go on an outing from a mental hospital in Dallas, Texas for a day. The other one is about a guy who was put out on the street because he had no financial support after a month long stay in an assisted living center for the mentally ill.

They’re just stories.

I doubt your pdoc will do anything, and if they try just say it’s just a story.

It’s not because the stories are disturbing. It is that they’re too sane. They’re very cogent. Things hang together well in them. He wants to use them as evidence that I don’t need disability pay. I suppose I could work as a night janitor, but I would have to find a way to get my back healthy. It hurts a lot when I do things.

No, that’s not an excuse.

He cant say that your stories are too sane.

From a different point of view, you’re just a talented writer.

Trust me, he wont do anything.

2 Likes

why exactly would he want you to lose your disability pay? he thinks you are in too good of shape? what do you think of your ability to work?

1 Like

I’m afraid this may be your paranoia flaring up. You haven’t been specific enough as to why your pdoc would want to do such a thing. Any pdoc who tries to do something like that to you is an idiot. Considering that when most schiz get on disability it’s usually for the rest of their life It would be unfair to do that to you if working full time is too difficult for you.

2 Likes

My mental illness severely restricts me, but I’m thinking I could be a night janitor in an office or a church if I could heal up my back. My back gives me fits.

You don’t explain why your doctor would want to do such a thing. Or why you think he is going to do it.

If he does it, it would seem like a breach of confidentially and he could get in trouble.

I forget what state you live in but here in California I’ve been going to college off and on for years and I think Social Security knows but no one has ever told me, “Hey, you go to college and get A’s and B’s so we’re stopping your SSDI.”

A lot of people go to school and collect SSI or SSDI. I’ve never heard of anyone who writes so well that it influences if they should receive SSDI or SSI or not. I agree that this might be paranoia unless you have some hard evidence that backs up your suspicions.

Why do you think this; does your doctor not like you or something? What you’re claiming is unethical, possibly even illegal.

A common symptom in schizophrenia is jumping to conclusions, I’m guilty of it all the time.

2 Likes

It isn’t that I write so well. It is that I write so cogently. Everything in my writing is logical and in its proper place. There are a number of reasons my pdoc would want to take away my SSDI. One is that I did something pretty rotten. I won’t go into specifics. Also, there is a money issue involved. They are offering me a lot of money to do something I find morally repugnant. The way I see it, they owe me money for trying to force this morally repugnant thing on me. A lot of people have designs on the money they think I am going to get for doing something I find morally repugnant. I really believe just about all the laws pertaining to this are on my side.

1 Like

I think it’s just you paranoia talking.
Pdocs don’t do that

1 Like

I think you’re being paranoid @crimby try to think about something else for a while…I think your pdoc honestly was curious to see some of your writing.

OK.
All I can say is that I turned in quite a few papers in college that I got A’s and B’s on.

And if you stood to get a lot of money, and you looked helpless and vulnerable, a lot of people would try to take the money away from you.

It doesn’t mean they would succeed.

Yes. Exactly. I could live with only the money I get from the state, but I want to keep my dignity and place the money, if I get it, where I want it placed. As far as my writing goes - I have visions of locking myself away in a small room with no tv and no internet connection, and reading every waking moment for five years, and then sitting down and writing every waking moment for five years. I don’t anticipate being alive too much longer after that. I’m nearly 61 years old now. I don’t know if that plan will work out, but if it doesn’t I can buy myself a tv and an internet connection.

1 Like

I think you are being paranoid @crimby.
No one is out to screw you.
Especially not your doctor.

2 Likes

You are almost at retirement age anyway. I don’t think you have anything to worry about

2 Likes

You could call social security and ask if writing a cogent story could get you taken off disability. They’ll just tell you what we’re telling you, it’s absolutely not a reason to be taken off. I think you’re paranoid and should talk this out with your doctor.

4 Likes