Is it difficult to be without a job?

I found it hard for the last three decades when I wasn’t working. I loved my jobs. The last paying job i had was not very strenuous. The hardest job I ever had was dishwashing in a restaurant. I worked from 1984 to 1996 but it was off and on. I have no retirement savings and I was cheated out of my inheritance by a Thai woman. I live by social security disability and rental assistance. I have no physical ailments and I’m not incredibly overweight. I can’t do physical work again because of my sweating condition but maybe I could get a job as an old man. I turn 54 this month. My qualifications are I can read and do simple math and I can do them very well. I like my life as it is though where I can read and practice guitar every day. I am thinking of going to the nursing home down the street for volunteer work. I don’t know if I have a criminal record though because I was arrested once and the case was dismissed?

3 Likes

I doubt that you would. A criminal record requires a conviction in most cases.

1 Like

@Jinx It sounds like to me at 54 you’ve lived a very full like? How did you meet your Thai women? Travelling?

2 Likes

Funny you should say I had a full life because I haven’t. My dad’s wife, who is Thai, stole my inheritance.

1 Like

I’m 55 and I miss a job. I quit my voluntary job because i was too undstable, but when i’m stable again i plan to volunteer and make a hot lunch for the users of my local social club for mentally ill

1 Like

I don’t find it hard to not work as long as I can study a bit.

I wonder if I’ll ever be able to go back to work, but part-time must be reasonable at some point I think.

Oh i was very comfortable when I didnt work for 3 years lol. And id be comfortable for another 40 years too :sweat_smile:

Honestly if your happy with your lifestyle, it affords you basic life necessities and you actually cant work then theres no need to worry about it.

1 Like

No, its not difficult. It can be boring sometimes though.

The more I think about the likelihood that I will be dead in 10 or 15 years, the more I consider this my retirement years. I smoked for 30 years, have schizophrenia, have diabetes, am overweight, still don’t exercise enough, etc. All of which have a negative affect on lifespan. I don’t expect to live as long as my parents have.

4 Likes

I think as long as you try to learn something new no matter how small or whatever that keeps life interesting.

When i didnt work from 2018-2021 i learned a lot, played a lot, slept a lot, and did a ton of mental health work.

I think if i didnt do anything and just watched tv and slept for 3 years it would be more difficult than work due to lack of activity.

1 Like

idk if its difficult cause ive never had a job

1 Like

You only need to do 2,200 steps a day according to the article of @everhopeful

3 Likes

Probably u don’t have a criminal record if the case was dismissed I had a similar situation where I live.

I find it difficult without a job.

Makes my CV look bad

Means I’m not able to save.

I am currently in the process of becoming a peer support social worker. I will do that part time and the other days ill do a art class and stuff

3 Likes

Congratulations Rollo that’s super cool

That is actually a job I’ve been considering when Im older and wiser

1 Like

I thought about doing that! Interesting man

2 Likes

The reason I also like that job is cos it’s actually a requirement to have a diagnosis how interesting right

2 Likes

Yes i think you will be really good at it. I feel alot of people on this forum would be awesome at it because they have so much insight and life experience

1 Like

Yes and your work environment would be suited to what u can handle

1 Like

I think you’d be great at it too!!

And thanks.

1 Like

Thank you! Maybe you can try and volunteer at a recovery center or talk to a jobcoach/ips they mostly known the ways to get into that kind of professions

1 Like