Schizophrenia.com

Is it better for someone (specifically a schizophrenic) to find out the answers on their own?

I’m at the point I’m really starting to find the key to wellness for myself…the beginning stages of it. It’s taken a lot of therapy. A lot of trial and error. My doctors never “gave me” the answers. I found it on my own. My therapist convinced me I wasn’t psychic. And I could tell you how she did it. But is it better to keep this information to myself. State facts, encourage to take medication, encourage people to go to therapy, help people with delusions. Rather than say “No you’re wrong” or stuff like that. Is it better for one to find out on their own? Or if I think I have the answers can I tell them? Where do you draw the line between “guiding” and “teaching”. Thanks a lot.

It is for me. That way I know they are not someone elses answers. There can be a number of answers to the same situation.

I have read once that it’s a biological reason to deny the illness. So when one takes responsibility for himself in answering the question he has made great progress in his journey. My pdoc also refused to share with me my illness diagnosis and event told me not to read about it. But surprisingly I started to feel more comfortable and confident as I bEgan to learn more about it and ended here.

They told me I was schizo-affective but that’s it. I didn’t know what in the world that meant for a few years. If they told me I was schizophrenic I may have been cautious but with the schizoaffective diagnosis I was confused and just ignored it. Thanks for your post.

depends what the question is,

i am rubbish at crosswords tho :stuck_out_tongue: lol

sometimes there are no answers though, i guess.

Guide with information from your experiences, and teach through your actions.

Like daydreamer said, it would probably depend on the answer. Although personally, I like getting answers, regardless of the source.

It would also help to say something like “Have you thought of…instead of…” instead of saying, “No you’re wrong.”

MadHatter

i don’t know that i would say it’s better, per se, because needing to find answers for myself has destroyed huge swaths of my life. but i do think it was necessary for me to ever make it through to this point. i have never been one to listen to anyone and i have trouble believing/trusting others, so as much as it sucks, i do think i just had to fail and fall over and over and over and get to these points before anything in my approach to life would change. and it’s still not probably without likelihood of falling flat on my face again, but i’m just that person who has to “learn everything the hard way” i spose. it likely depends heavily on the individual.

as for saying someone is wrong or right…i’m not one to say. i’m more one to try and hear what someone is saying because i spent so long feeling unheard. i think you can hear and support someone without discounting, discrediting, or dismissing him/her and that’s (the three d’s) what saying “you’re wrong” equates to for me.

I think it’s the type of answer.

Now if it’s… how do you appeal a denied SSDI claim, you definitely need answers from outside sources. You don’t want to trial and error that sort of thing.

But if it’s a balance of wellness… I feel that is an answer that comes on your own.

Just like every person in the world could tell me that my meds weren’t working because I was having a deep problem with drinking and other illegal drugs… but of course… I wasn’t ready to listen. So it didn’t matter who told me… It didn’t sink in.

I had to finally figure that one out on my own.

Some answers are personal and only stick when they come from within.