Is it a good thing that people are coming under the psychiatric system at a younger age?

Back in the 60s and 70s it was a much rarer occurrence to receive treatment pre teens. I suspect that quite a few, like me, would have received treatment far sooner if born a couple of decades later. The thing though is has the pendulum now swung too far in the opposite direction?

That is an interesting question. I’m glad more people are trying to stay aware of mental health and get kids help instead of just letting them suffer.

But it is an interesting thought of being so hyper aware that now every kid in the world get’s labeled with something.

I do hope the pendulum will find the middle. It’s hard to know if were in the middle now… or if it’s going to get more extreme as time goes on.

the sooner people get treatment and put on meds the faster the can recover and find something good out of the mess

2 Likes

Ultimately it was up to your parents.

I think that it is a good thing that these psychiatric illnesses are being monitored at an earlier age.
Although, I think that that it is a good idea for these illnesses to be monitored earlier, it is not a good idea for young kids to be diagnosed with something solid, not until they reach late teens or early 20s

1 Like

Yes and no. Intervention is great, and can save people from a lot of suffering and confusion. The issue with it is that most psychiatric medicine was not designed with children and adolescents in mind. I was actually just reading a research study the other day about how antipsychotics were found to be incredibly harmful in the development of the young/adolescent brain, and alternatives were strongly suggested.

Not enough research like that is done though, so as a result kids get their brain fried on medicine they shouldn’t be on in the first place.

Schools do seem like a good place to look mental health issues. They do it with add and adhd. If they could expand on that then it could save people from years of hell. Definitely a good thing.

In my case though I didn’t show any signs of the illness until I was well out of the system.

For some reason though childhood sz has a worse prognosis than adult sz I do not believe that though…

i think that we rely too much on medication, i wish there was another way but there isn’t,

thats why i would say if you can catch it in its infancy then you have a much better chance of recovery,

i always said that i wish they could have caught my problems a lot sooner (like in school) then maybe i would not have suffered as much,

how do you detect something like that though? i would say that a good way for children to feel good all the time is for them to have counselling, i am talking about a weekly class where children can talk in groups about there problems or if they wish in private, i think it would really cut down on the amounts of mental illness,

its an idea but i think it could really work, incorporate counselling skills into the curriculum and they can learn at the same time, its a win win if you ask me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@daydreamer That’s actually a really good idea! My school teaches Deep breathing. It’s an alternative school. There are a lot of psych and philosophy classes too.

1 Like

The difference between my peers and myself first became noticeable at boarding school(age 8) and really took off in my early teens. Whether I was already ill within being different or the peer reaction to being different set me on the path to being ill is debatable. What I do know is that I had problems. Someone said it’s up to the parents as to what to do but parents in the 60s and 70S were less aware of childhood psychological/social problems, and schools lacked the counselling service that some/many schools now have.
To my mother I was always the awkward baby that became the awkward toddler that became the awkward child that became the awkward teenager etc . The thought that I had something I needed help for didn’t occur till my mid-late teens and even then the belief in my awkwardness persisted.
The approach to a child who is ill and different should I think be different than that to a child who is different but develops problems over time due to peer reactions.
I would agree that there is a problem in trying to mould children that are merely different to fit a supposed ‘norm’.
If I had had help earlier would my social and learning difficulties have been flagged up for closer attention and support- given the attitudes and knowledge of the time the possibility might have increased by a small amount but the odds would still have been against it.
Could an adult lifetime of psychiatric drugs have been avoided with earlier intervention? The best I can say is maybe .

Sorry if this was a bit jumbled-ongoing brain constipation!

I’m 15 and currently not medicated. I have recently began improving on my condition with both schizophrenia and DID.
I have seen rare cases where medication is optional and improvement can be done without it, I’m fortunate to be one of those cases. My alter began as problematic and irrational, even worse, it’s an animal alter. Now I can even hold a conversation with him and don’t black out or lose time when he’s in control. And this was all without ever being medicated. I personally chose not to be medicated so I could know how I really am and so that I could accept my condition

Its a difficult one. As you see here there are lots of people here seeking advice on whether a close friend or family member is starting to develop schizophrenia or serious mental illness. And its very hard to know. People maybe just eccentric and may well be for the rest of their lives but are resistive to a psychotic break , there are those that have psychotic characteristics and never move to a psychotic break , some of the people that practice far out spiriruality , tarrot readings , talk of seeing UFOs , talk of being abducted and probed , you would think these are people are prodromal for schiz. Yet 20 years later they are still sayn the same stuff unabated. We have all seen the vox pop shows about these people. Then there are people that endure absolutely massive amounts of stress , people with ocd , autisim , aspergers, oppositional defiance disorder , hyperactivity disorder, etc , everything causes them severe stress , yet they have a protective quality that prevents mental breakdown. There are people that hear voices as well and may do so for the rest of their lives yet will not have a mental breakdown , again they have some kind of protective qualities.

2 Likes

Someone elsewhere mentioned that emotional sensitivity and difficult circumstances might be involved.
I replied as follows.

If one believes in the diathesis-stress model then the greater the genetic loading for mental illness the less stress you need to trigger it. This would mean that some who had relatively good circumstances could still go on to develop mental illness. Though a combination of difficult circumstances and a high genetic loading under that model would be a red flag for future problems. Those who don’t see mental illnesses like schizophrenia as at all genetic won’t, of course, buy into this. It would be interesting to see if higher combinations of genetic loading for mental illness and difficult circumstances result in more severe mental illnesses developing. Would I have developed more severe psychosis( rather than mild,questionable psychosis) for example if I had been subjected to severely difficult circumstances instead of moderately difficult circumstances ?