Is global warming real?
  • Yes - it is due to pollution
  • Yes - it is just the Earth going through a natural phase
  • Yes - itā€™s both the above
  • Not sure
  • No, itā€™s not real

0 voters

Yes itā€™s real.
This shouldnā€™t be political but unfortunately it usually is.

Itā€™s a scientific fact and itā€™s only going to get worse.

4 Likes

@Wave I agree. Science gets so distorted and misused by political parties, just to further their own ends

3 Likes

I heard thereā€™s going to be record high heat this year.

1 Like

My sister told me that Canada will become the new destination for ā€˜Climate Refugeesā€™ in a couple of decades.

Their countries will be scorching from the Sun. Our Northern winters will become milder, and we certainly have enough land up here to accept millions more people.

3 Likes

we have more CO2 in the air than weā€™ve had for millions of years, twice as much as weā€™ve had for hundreds of thousands of years. CO2 causes warming. scientists are almost unanimous that humans are causing warming. the abnormal warming started during the industrial revolution. corral reefs only started dying during the industrial revolution, when they had been fine for millions of years before that. (so itā€™s obviously not just natural cycles from this fact alone) if you put all these things together, itā€™s next to impossible to deny that humans are causing the warming.

4 Likes

Global warming is supposed to cause a ice age to happen to the north. So it wonā€™t be any better there

1 Like

Yes

Although ā€œClimate Changeā€ is the preferred term now.

1 Like

Climate change is caused by carbon emissions, but also methane and deforestation.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02409-7#:~:text=Cattle%20raised%20on%20pastures%20created,as%20they%20digest%20their%20food.

2 Likes

I could stand for a longer growing season.

1 Like

The science is very clear about this not being a natural phase. Thereā€™s been a concerted effort to spread misinformation about this.

2 Likes

This is a thread I should avoid lol.

1 Like

I said both. Yes, the Earth does go through different stages. For example, the magnetic poles flip every couple of hundred thousand years.

That said, I believe that by and large, it is the Industrial Revolution in the last hundred years that has done the real damage. Not only do we dump carbon dioxide, among other pollutants into the atmosphere on a daily basis, the very plants that create oxygen and sustain life on Earth are dwindling.

The big question is, can governments all agree on truly effective measures, or is it too late? I like to hope that this pandemic in some way, brings countries on to some sort of Common Ground, where we can make decisions for the benefit of all

There is no dispute at all that weā€™re contributing to it.

I was watching Neil Degrass Tyson on a podcast on YouTube, and he explained the issue with science and politics.

If youā€™re right, you vote for climate change deniers, and if you vote left, you get people up in arms about vaccines etc.

Science and politics do not mesh well based on what he was saying.

The solution in his view was that politicians need to be either scientifically literate, or at the very least rely on scientists to inform rather than making science about political ideology.

I thought it was quite interesting listening to him talk about this.

He was just using these examples to make his point about it. Let the scientists make recommendations based on EVIDENCE NOT OPINION!

1 Like

@anon9798425 I agree. There has been a great deal of effort put forth by corporations and the rich, to lead people into thinking it is a natural occurrence only.

Heaven forbid we cut into their profit marginsā€¦ Kind of reptilian in my opinion

1 Like

Climate change is not the same as global warming. A lot of people think that itā€™s the same.

Global warming is the warming of the planet as a whole. Climate change is the changes brought on by the warming.

2 Likes

In this context, I mean the root cause, which is the rising of global temperatures due to pollution yes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.