Schizophrenia.com

Is Facebook ruining my life at work?

Hi all.
I have always been a heavy Facebook user and very active on it. I am a somewhat private person and would post quite personal stuff on it in the past. I generally keep my FB separate from work and never used to add my colleagues onto it. However I changed jobs a year ago and I decided to add one of the new girls there who is friendly with me. Now I am beginning to wish I never…
I thought I was helping my confidence by adding other people in my company. Now I keep getting friend requests from related colleagues - I don’t want to ignore them or they will think I am unfriendly. At the same time, I am finding I cant relax at work now and becoming more paranoid because of it, sometimes convinced they are talking about me about something I have posted! Nobody at work knows about my diagnosis which is PS. I don’t know what to do.

I never add anyone that has to do with work or business and I keep my friends list private

2 Likes

I’ve added 10+ co-workers from my work place to my Facebook. It’s kind of interesting to see the various types of posts by various types of people at work. I have less than 100 friends but still that is quite an accomplishment since I go on Facebook maybe 3-5 times a day. Also, no one on Facebook knows that I am schizophrenic either and assume all is good and dandy.

i don’t know how you’d feel about deactivating it for a while ? At least until the paranoia subsided.

You can always unfriend your work colleague and just explain to her that you prefer keeping your professional life separate. Then you can make your profile unsearchable so none of your other colleagues can see you.

1 Like

I deleted my facebook and left it for the time out phase and then opened a new account.

Might work, but i do have work colleagues on there too as I didn’t want to be rude.

I don’t really post much on there so it’s not so much of an issue.

Just be aware of your audience.

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.