Is Facebook a bad idea?

So, I was googling something yesterday and was redirected to a Facebook page with pics of people I haven’t seen in at least 10 years.

I’ve read opinions on this site of people who feel like FB is a place for people to gloat about their kids/professional life. Should I stay away? Would it just be depressing for me to find out what all of these people are doing with their lives now? …I don’t have much to say about myself. Except that I quit drinking and smoking (they are all still alcoholics).

■■■■. This sucks. Has anyone found themselves in this position?

1 Like

The trick to Facebook is to not accept every request that comes along. Curate your contacts carefully and limit to those you are only genuinely interested in interacting with. There is no obligation to accept a friend request.

5 Likes

Facebook is for normies.

3 Likes

I use FB and have no issues with it. I mostly only have online friends. Very few people I know irl. I don’t use it to reconnect with old friends or family or whatever. I use it to keep up with people I genuinely care about and who genuinely care about me.

2 Likes

I have FB and enjoyit.

2 Likes

facebook is a vanity project…I steer clear of it…it only makes me envious of th life I may have had

2 Likes

I have fb and I like it. It’s a good way to keep in touch with friends and family, because most of mine live pretty far away.
But yeh, like Squirrel said, don’t accept every request you get, limit yourself to people you actually want contact with.

I’ve had to remove quite a few people from my list over the years due to them either being someone I didn’t really want contact with, or them posting stuff I didn’t want to see, like horoscopes and racism.

It can sometimes be a bit hard to have successful people on your friendslist if they keep boasting about their kids and travels and weight loss and whatnot.
But you learn eventually not to compare yourself to those people.

1 Like

Quiting drinking and smoking is something to be proud of.

3 Likes

I have about 61 friends consisting of family/step family and people I’ve met on forums. I’ve unfriended 2 or 3 people , and been unfriended by one as I was critical of a certain political party’s leader.

The responses to what I post are rather low . There’s almost no interaction with quite a few of them .

1 Like

Facebook is bad. It’s a way for people to validate themshelves to others.

Stay away from it.

1 Like

Facebook is fun if you are into politics or have certain hobbies and join groups. I don’t really use it to interact with friends other than the occasional message or profile picture update. I have a lot of friends on there because I have lived in a lot of different places so I get to see a lot of different opinions.

1 Like

I like Facebook its cool. Can post random stuff there and track down people from a long time ago. Like primary school

1 Like

I don’t think facebook is a bad idea, if you are really triggered with your “friends” accomplishments than you shouldn’t have linkedin - that’s way worst compared with facebook. The worst part to me is when they are interested in some events. I wish I could be with my “friends” sometimes…

With that said I didn’t had the best motifs to start my social media again, but it helped me a lot conquering my fears.

1 Like

Other than a couple of people, my friends on Facebook are people I know in real life. Every few months I glean my list. I try to stay around the 100 mark or less.

1 Like

I deleted my Facebook, only use Instagram and this forum.

1 Like

I got rid of my Facebook a few months ago and have not used it in about 3 years. Can honestly say life is better without the distraction of Facebook. If you want to learn about something new in someones lives the best way to do it is to talk to them about it.

1 Like

Fb is good to keep in contact with family and friends. It also keeps me up with my cricket club and know a lot of people through there. I don’t regularly post anymore and just read and comment. I find that works best for me and it’s good for birthdays and social events.

It’s handy and like most of the internet. Use it on your terms.

1 Like

people get so badly bullied on social media
my sister has had the last 6 years of her life ruined
it made her long term psychotic
that and twitter

1 Like

I use FB for resources to help get resources for my kids, and to help others with kids. I belong to local free groups where someone posts a need and people see if they can help. Before my 15 and 14 year old boys hit 6’1" each I could get clothes for th hem, but no th they’re men’s 3x shirts, and well. That’s a hard size to come by. I buy what I canat Walmart, but they skipped Xl and 2xl from a large and hit 3x in like 3 months, so i can’t keep up. My daughter is 12, she is developing so she’s in Juniors clothing. Which a beautiful soul gave her a whole wardrobe of Junior’s 00 pants from Victoria’s secret, she wears them, but she doesn’t like the attention from the boys. And ■■■■ she’s a junior’s m/l top, and women’s top are too broad shouldered. She’s just not ready for attention, and she’s most developed in her class so she is embarrassed is gym when she has to change, and they don’t allow changing in the bathrooms. If you’re caught it’s a principal visit.

But i have given a lot of her 10/12 to girls who need it, and she takes very good care of her clothes. It’s nice to get the help, and I keep in contact with one of the former Coven members who is DID and her daughter who is having horrible post partum depression. We’re a mini support group the three of us. Then there’s the family I still talk to, my mom and her husband, you get sister, I stear clear of middle sister because she does nothing but have babies and do drugs. If she’s coherent I talk to her. But most the time, I can’t cause I tried to raise her better. Tried to get her off the morphine an DC weed before she had baby 6 3 weeks ago, but she did all that and drank the entire pregnancy. Hospital tested baby, he popped positive, but they leg her take him home.

I also have the guy I consider a adopted brother he introduced hubby and In high school. He’s getting married next month, so despite being bedridden and unmedicated for my sz, he still has me very involved in the planning, and his to be wife has accepted me as family, so there is some good on FB. Just gotta choose who you interact with.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.