Is crying a symptom of sz?

Whenever I am stressed I get intense feeling of crying. I can’t even read my science books anymore because after a few pages I cry. My Dr doesn’t know why. He said its not depression.

It can’t be negative symptoms either as thats lack of emotions. If I can cry it means I have emotions.

1 Like

I can’t cry. But I couldn’t really cry before the meds either. The only time I remember crying was when I was on the psych ward.

Definitely not a symptom of schizophrenia.

1 Like

I think you’re lucky if you can cry.

2 Likes

Honestly I hate it, I am ashamed of crying. It feels unnatural for me, like stress induced.

1 Like

I am afraid if I keep doing stuff that make me cry I will develop depression.

I think crying is a good release. I wish I could do it.

2 Likes

I don’t want my family see me crying. They will think I have depression.

2 Likes

I remember crying when my gf brokeup with me. Now idk why reading books make me cry, its weird. I think its stress.

I practically never cry, but I was like this before SZ.

1 Like

I can’t really cry either. When i feel bad. I do feel a need to cry. But i dont actually manage to produce tears of relief

1 Like

I just took 5HTP. It increases serotonin and is said to be as effective as some ADs. I remember it made me feel better before no more crying. Idk why my drs say i have sz negatives and not depression.

1 Like

I cry all the time when I’m cycling
Otherwise I don’t cry so often but I will tear up at things I find sad

1 Like

My ability to cry is wholly dependent on which antipsychotic I’m on.

I just came off Geodon and couldn’t stop bursting into tears.

On Zyprexa I couldn’t even cry as my last rescue cat was euthanized after battling kidney failure. I felt desperately sad, but never cried.

The Risperidone I started yesterday is my 7th AP. there doesn’t seem to be a middle ground with any of then when it comes to crying, unfortunately.

2 Likes

You mean depression? My diagnosis is sz.

1 Like

I am on risperidone too, 6mg. Its been the best for my sz, no positive symptoms at all. I tried Abilify, Latuda, Olanzapine and low dose Seroquel.

1 Like

Well I just read that uncontrollable crying is a symptom of prodromal sz. Does that mean I have to up my risperidone? My Dr says just to not do stuff that make me cry like listening to emotional music or reading books. He won’t adjust my meds. Hopefully the 5htp will help.

I use to cry on command… Now days I can’t but I still cry… Mostly over my daughter… 5 years and it still upsets me from time to time

1 Like

I am feeling better on 5htp. I will tell my Dr, maybe he will prescribe an AD.

Flat affect is more common I think. I have sza so I still experience emotional highs and lows, no flat affect for me. I get really sad and emotional about my situation maybe once a month, but nobody sees it so you know, tree in a forest and all that.

If I judge myself and my life by more appropriate standards however I find I’m less likely to feel bad about how I’m doing.

1 Like