Is anyone on aripiprazole? Abilify?

I’m on Abilify. I take a 250 mg shot at the beginning of each month. I have great concentration and attention span and I’m able to read as long as I want. The only problem I have had from Abilify is being tired sometimes.

1 Like

I’m on Abilify too and it also makes me really tired. I take a 250 mg shot at the beginning of each month. Lets figure out what supplement to take to get our energy back.

1 Like

I’d love it if there was something that would lessen the tiredness, sadly it seems to be permanent as long as I take the Abilify.

I’m on aripiprazole(10 mg) and clozapine(50 mg) my attention span is about 30 mins as well, and the a4 book depends if they have a lot of figures or not(more tiny letters) but usually I can read 3 to 4 pages, maybe 5 if its easy to read.

Is it significantly different to the amount that u could read before meds?

1 Like

It improved! When I’m reading I don’t have voices and I usually read 35 mins and do a music break. Like something with 2 songs like 7 to 8 mins and then I cheer a little bit to keep studying another 35 mins.
Before meds I was continuously interrupted and was only capable of doing math for longer than 30 minutes. It was real a pain on some more memorizing subjects, like biology and chemistry… On math I didn’t listen to them when I was doing exercises but when I had to read I had to listen :cry:

1 Like

Abilify makes you tired because it increases your serotonin which turns into melatonin which is the sleepiness neurotransmitter. Serotonin has nothing to do with having psychosis either. So, if you find a supplement that can decrease your level of Serotonin or Melatonin then you will have energy again while taking Abilify. Help me figure out which supplement would be best.

1 Like

I usually have some weird reaction to every med I’ve ever taken, so maybe but I don’t think that’s what’s going on with Abilify for me. If so there would be a pattern for me with other meds that increase serotonin & there is no such pattern. Sadly I have no real knowledge regarding supplements, so I can’t give any help there. I’ll hold my thumbs for a solution while also waiting for Brexulti (Brexpiprazole) to be available in more countries around the world.

I prefer Rexulti - up to 4mg. Bi-polar with Schizo symptoms

1 Like

I could’ve sworn abilify (like all antipsychotics )reduces serotonin uptake by inhibiting the 5ht2 receptors…

2 Likes

what is the purpose of reducing serotonin uptake?
is there a deficiency of serotonin in schz?

1 Like

Not a deficiency. Antipsychotics reduce the amount of serotonin in the brain.

1 Like

Do Abilify increases serotonin? My doctor said it had effect on serotonin, but I don’t feel it too much.

My doctor told me Abilify decreases Dopamine and increases Serotonin.

Your welcome! What is 5-htp? Why did 5-htp give your energy back?