Is akathisia permanent or not?

That’s how I feel about abilify.

A powerful major tranquilizer that I’m on a high dose of. But it’s not “weak” just “invisible” to me.

i have again the bright colors,its also bothering… it sucks… i think i smoked a lot of weed at the time… it made things worse…

i am too excited, i am not satisfied of haldol anymore… i was punching like crazy in one pillow… and like you said, the akathisia doesnt go away…
i’ll talk tomorrow to my doc. somebody who got akathisia on zyprexa or its less probable?

In my case it never went away. My life is completely ruined.

Wow man. I’m sorry. I was just dealing with some restlessness for a few days from taking a reduced dose of Seroquel. It was a withdrawl effect. It is gone now for me though. Sorry man. I am still on the reduced dose. 300mg.

P.S I know this topic is old.

The intensity of akathisia has lessened for me on some meds including the Invega I’m on right now. It’s never totally gone away. Just gotten more tolerable.

My akathisia is so bad I ended up catatonic and hospitalized. I was given a shot of invega sustena and about a week later formed a deep vein thrombosis as well as bilateral pulmonary embolism. They are gone now with Xarelto but I am still suffering severely from akathisia in the form of excruciating burning coarsing through my whole torso. I’ve been bedridden for over 2 years.

1 Like

I actually just saw my doctor and was prescribed 3mg daily invega…hopefully it will help.

I see you just joined this site. Permanent akathisia damage is one of my nightmares. That’s terrible that that happened to you

In my experience akathisia does go away over time. But on some meds once I got to certain doses it was so bad I couldn’t wait it out anymore. Depends on what your tolerance is.

Do you mean dystonia? Akathisia is a feeling of inner restlessness. Dystonia is burning muscle cramping.

I can’t handle too high doses of antipsychotics. I think it is due to too much dopamine being blocked.

Believe me i feel this is worse than death. I’ve been living second to second this whole time. Hell on Earth

1 Like

Idk what causes akathisia honestly. I have noticed that the higher the dopamine receptor binding profile of a med is though the worse it tends to be for me.

1 Like

May I ask how old you are?

Could be dystonia as well. I was given a prescription for ingrezza but the cost was like 12000 a month. Insurance wouldn’t cover it.

43male bipolar1

1 Like

I think you should get payed millions of dollars for the damage done, if it is medication induced. But unfortunately I think that sort of justice rarely happens.

I’ve just never heard of anyone being hospitalized or given medical treatment for akathisia but dystonia is a serious physical reaction that requires medical treatment and if it’s bad enough hospitalization because it can stop you from breathing.

You could’ve definitely had both though. Horrifying. I hope the meds they give you help with it.

Yeah it’s like who do I sue? I can’t sit down anywhere not even my own couch. I can’t drive. It’s torture sitting in a car. It’s like I’m in a 24/7 severe panic attack. It’s like some sort of a permanent psychosis. Cannot be in public. The worst part is when I’m not moaning From the pain no one can fathom the invisible torture I’m in.

1 Like