Is 8 years old to young to have a pc? Poll

I was thinking of giving my old rig to my nephew. But windows pc’s are prone to viruses and stuff. But I mean kids have got to start somewhere

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

I don’t think its too young.

1 Like

Yes. He might stumble onto adult websites — I made the same mistake when I was a kid.

1 Like

@Bowens @Cloudd3ad just to let you know I have slightly altered my first post and added a poll. Hope this is ok

1 Like

He currently has a console. I think those are safer for kids. I might wait until he is in high school to give him the pc

1 Like

I say give it to him with a few strategy games or something.

Games are a lot better on PC than console

3 Likes

Without internet its ok. I played at my friend’s house pc videogames when I was 7.

3 Likes

I had a computer at that age,

But that was during the dark ages when there was no internet.

I think a PC can wait.

Or maybe talk to his parents and see what they think,

They may be able to block inappropriate websites and it would be fine.

3 Likes

There is web software out there where you can put a passcode on questionable sites. My ex and I had it.

3 Likes

Skip the computer and make him go play outside. :grin::grin::grin:

7 Likes

Have the adults keep antivirus protection on the computer and get the free K9 web protection that blocks sites little ones shouldn’t see. That’s what I did for my daughter.

2 Likes

Go with what @GrayBear said for the most part.

If you give him the pc make him learn coding.

4 Likes

PC is fine at that age with supervision. I say its too young for social media, but Im not a fan of social media for anyone under 18. A lot of kids are harmed from social media because the bullying follows them home.

There are options to protect the computer, but at about 12-13 kids are usually smart enough to get around them. I know I was. There wasn’t a security feature at school we couldn’t crack to go around the blockades.

1 Like

Way too young. Stick to books.

Weird pervs on child game websites. Not much regulation going on.

3 Likes

Kids are used to tech these days and learning to use one is a bonus. Probably wouldn’t let get on the net at 8 but playing games and using programs no problems.

3 Likes

If I had a kid, sure. Never too early to learn technology and programming. But I wouldn’t let them on the internet unsupervised.

2 Likes

When I was that age I played these fun learning pc games you can find kids games for pc at pc stores

2 Likes

They all have PCs because they do online school. So we have blocks and child safe search engines.

1 Like

A girl harassed my 12 year old daughter on FB. Even threatened to beat her up. I told my daughter’s principal about it cos she was being bullied at school also. The first thing he said is “I hate FB”. I tried to talk to the girl’s mother and her mother just walked away and refused to talk to me.

I agree. Young kids have no business on social media.

2 Likes

Still too young, I think

2 Likes