Invega to Risperidone switch

Hello everyone! So, I have been on Invega for a few months now. When I first took it my mind was BLOWN! I had no hallucinations, no delusions, my cognition was so far back on track that I could remember every detail of my past (even with my disorder) and still be normal again! After a few days I started to become depressed because it felt like I had missed out about 11 years of my life even though I participated in much more than I realized. Then a few more days I started having a “flat effect” mixed with depression. My doctor said I was going through psychosis. After two weeks the medication just stopped working. I then switched to Abilify which made me much, much worse being misaligned with reality. So… I went back on Invega and until recently I quit my job because of the hardship the company put me through. I am in the process of getting medical help with the county. I have a few tablets left to last me about 20 days and I have been taking phosphatidylcholine which helps me remember things.

So I have been reading that Invega is an active metabolite is Risperidone. I also saw most people have unnerving side effects of taking it. I have taken it back in 2015 with really bad side effects too but I honestly dont know if the same will happen this time.

So I was wondering if any of you have switched from Invega to Risperidone and if it was less effective, just as effective, or more effective than Invega.

I am asking because I have a choice between taking Risperidone which is 4 USD or Geodon about 35 USD.

İ was the opposite. İ changed risperidone to invega.i think risperidone more effective. İ m not sure. All i can say is risperidone is wonderful drug for it s price. You would get your cognitive and working skills backs but you have to be sacrifice your sexual feelings and it would make some dizzines. But dizzyness would past away inside of 2 years. (i heard that didn t experienced). But sexual and erectile dysfunction may not go away. But all the negatives it s really wonderful drug for its price. Best wishes.

1 Like

Thanks for the knowledge. I’ve seen many people say the same thing with sexual dysfunction, but I may be able to counteract that by taking sarcosine since that seems to make me overly sexual. But I will see. I just dont want to spend 4 hours waiting in line at the county pharmacy only to be told they don’t have it in stock until two weeks from then…

For my opinion it better to go for geodon if you can effort it. But you can not get such a good drug like risperidone with only 4 bucks.

Well, maybe you are right. I saw on goodrx that Wal-Mart sells risperidone for 4 bucks but I dont know if that is the current price. I was thinking of taking Geodon (which is what my recent doctor suggested since my DNA test said it had fewer side effects) but that cost about 35 dollars with a coupon. So… I may just take your suggestion and go with Geodon. I’m just really really afraid that it will make me sleep for 12 hours strait.

1 Like

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have schizoaffective depression disorder. Has anyone else tried medication for this?

Yes it could but i heard that dizziness is temporary. İ can pass inside of one year.

I took risperidone which was more effective at reducing positive symptoms then invega which I am on currently however after my last psychotic episode risperidone stop working for me

Did you gain a tremendous amount of weight from Risperidone?

Hey I have almost the same story as you. I was briefly on quintapone before being diagnosed…but then after it was invega to ability and now I want to go to risperidone. It looks really great

When I started 5mg risperidone I was sick like I had been poisoned for 6 hours a day for 6 months until strangely I made a .25mg cut. I was in very bad withdrawl from that cut for 2 years. I hate risperidone but maybe you will have better luck. I also went into a painful scary crisis for 1.5 weeks after I threw up a dose.

Whoa! I hope that doesn’t happen to me!

I was on Quietiapine before but it made me hallucinate.

Ok! About 3 months later, 30lbs more weight gain and two different doctors I am going to try out geodon on Monday for the first time in years!

Hope the switch works out for you!

I’m considering switching from risperidone to Geodon myself.