Interesting thoughts on using cinnamon to improve cognition

Maybe you didn’t actually read it. Let me copy and paste that for you.

The recommended dosage of Cinnamon according to the US Department of health, is 6 grams daily for 6 weeks or less

Pregnant women should not take Cinnamon. This is because Cinnamon (especially the oils) can induce premature labor or uterine contractions

Those who take Cinnamon on a daily basis for dieting or other health reasons should switch to Ceylon Cinnamon, which only has 0.03-0.04% Coumarin. All other types of Cinnamon has high levels (about 0.4-0.8%) Coumarin which can cause liver failure if taken daily or in high doses

Cinnamon may also reduce your blood sugar levels depending on the quantity you take.

(…)Therefore care must be taken not to take Cinnamon with other blood thinning medication and the reason why Doctors do not recommend taking Cinnamon while taking medication especially blood thinning medication.

High doses of Cinnamon could be dangerous for those with a heart condition as Cinnamon is known to increase your heart rate.

Swallowing Cinnamon powder without water creates a serious choking hazard that could result in death

taking commercial antibiotics with cinnamon may create a conflict. It is like taking a double dose of antibiotics

Apparently 6 grams a day for 6 weeks is considered safe, but it sounds like an awful lot of cinnamon to me.

My mom takes 500 mg a day.

I did read it.

If that was scary to me, I would quit my psych drugs. (Scary potential side effects) For the record, I’m not quitting meds.

Sounds like some interactions to be aware of though.

@twinklestars an increase in heart rate is a big, scary side effect.
Also choking hazard.
These are things a reasonable person would consider scary, to my mind.
I think it is reckless to discard these side effects.

1 Like

Do yourself a favor then and don’t read the side effects for any med you are on. They all have side effects. It is a matter of risk/benefit analysis.

People have been using cinnamon for a long time. Most people using cinnamon do not experience elevation of heart rate.

As evidenced by its apparent safety at the much more than food level use of 6 grams.

For 6 weeks max. How long has your mother been taking it?

Citation needed lol.

1 Like

Some days, I’m just blown away by the topics you guys are able to find a reason to fight over.

4 Likes

Pleased to provide.

“Anthropometric indicators” includes heart rate and other measurements.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17381386/

“Overall, cinnamon was well tolerated.”

I can get more, but I’m afraid this topic may be locked before I do.

1 Like

500 mgs a day for in excess of 10 years.

The meta analysis of trials have a dosage variance of 120mg a day to 6 grams.

She takes it for blood sugar control.

I use cinnamon in moderation.
It helps with blood glucose control.

2 Likes

It is good that you provided this study @twinklestars , after all there is a big , big difference between
substantiated claims and unsubstantiated ones.
And the more evidence, the better.
You are more than welcome to post more articles here.
After all methods to improve our health, and related discussions, are of paramount importance.

I trust that the moderators would never close such a sacred topic.

1 Like

I trust @everhopeful and @twinklestars to reach a detente before this escalates to weapons of mass destruction, anyway.

Here’s some more … this one uses an extract, so the dosage is difficult to compare, but extracts are stronger.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10849058/

“The cinnamon extract was well tolerated, and side effects were minimal.”

http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378(14)00446-3/fulltext

“Adverse events in our trial were not common and no serious adverse events were reported. This is consistent with published data, showing minimal adverse events and no increase when compared with placebo in comparative trials.”

“Adverse reactions to oral cinnamon were infrequent and generally mild in nature.”

1 Like

Oh I’m probably just being paranoid. @everhopeful is nice and so am I. It’s unlikely we’ll go nuclear and resort to insults over a spice.

2 Likes

You two are amongst the most reasonable, level-headed posters we have here!

3 Likes

Anthropometric indicators

I’ve just become an expert in this in the last 5 minutes!

They don’t include heart rate.

Here’s a pdf of what they include.

anthropometry-2003-ENG.pdf (1.0 MB)

So this means you haven’t provided a citation to back up your claim that most people don’t have an increased heart rate.

Anyway, we’ve gone from cinnamon is completely harmless to an understanding of the risks involved.

I won’t be trying it.

@everhopeful yo momma eats cinnamon toast crunch.

Sorry @Rhubot could not help myself.

4 Likes

I feel like I should volunteer to eat large quantities of Swedish cinnamon buns (baked using Ziljas recipe of course) and perform my own study of the safety of consuming cinnamon. :smile:

3 Likes

I would now like to post my own scholarly article about the hazards of cinnamon… :nerd_face:

4 Likes