Informed consent about APs

Yea, it would have been great if the attending pdoc in the ward would have mentioned the absurd weight gain Zyprexa is known to cause.

Also would have been great if a medical professional had mentioned the likely possibility of lactating breasts while on Risperdone.

Also would have been nice if the lady working for the hospital who accosted me during full-on psychosis while I was in bed and made me sign multiple forms would have actually explained what I was signing.

5 Likes

I was drinking from the bathroom taps because nurses didnt get me any drinks for weeks in hospital. It sucked big time

2 Likes

I think there is a big lack of knowledge in this area even with doctors, as I experienced it. But if you quit psychiatric medications, you can get withdrawal effects. Many people have, women more than men I’ve read. As with other drugs, your brain and body adapt to the medication and have to get used to being without.

This can be all sorts of symptoms. Physical, like nausea, headache, abdominal pain. Emotional, like anxiety, anger and restlessness. And other symptoms, like insomnia. Also the sensitivity to psychosis is higher in withdrawal (even in those who didn’t suffer psychosis in the first place and used it for nausea or as a sleep aid or whatever). It is thought that especially the first two years are tricky for relapse because of this.

Obviously your own symptoms can come back too. There is no clear idea how to tell if someone is naturally relapsing or in withdrawal.

This won’t mean everyone will get withdrawal. But many do, according to research studies.

Withdrawal effects tend to be worse if you quit abruptly than if you slowly quit by taking a tiny bit less and less over a longer period of time. I think it is rather criminal that doctors do not tell this.

3 Likes

Some Drs refused to say that my meds cause weight gain and sleepiness while others agreed that they do. Also same for med induced negative symptoms.

2 Likes

I am sad - but not surprised - that only for one in five there was informed consent. And many consented without being informed. I think this causes harm.

2 Likes

Sometimes I think there is some kind of strategic thinking involved like “if I say the meds cause weight gain and sleepiness he will accept it and not try to lose weight, or stop meds”, and “if i say they don’t he will think it is all in his head, and have a change of thought which will cause him to have more energy and lose weight”. This kind of games playing, if that is what is going on, should be considered bad practice.

2 Likes

I think there are such games indeed. I think they are misguided. The lies, the games, the shocking side effects that I never expected… they made me run and not walk, away from meds and docs. I don’t dare use medication or vaccinations anymore unless I first do nearly a doctorate study on their (side) effects. Psychiatry and the medical field just loses credibility with it.

There is something else… A loved one, young mother, died of medical failure/medication damage (non-psychiatric). The doctors first admitted it. In private. Then the husband of the deceased went to court. Then they denied all and everything and lied as professional manipulators. I have heard afterwards the hospitals and insurance companies have this standard policy that doctors often cant admit to any damage they cause, because it costs.

I have wondered if this too is a part of the problem.

2 Likes

One of my docs says: “APs are safe and the only side effect is weight gain. Anything you say against that, is crazy.”

The other says: “I wouldn’t want to use them myself, they suck, but being a psychotic wreck and not capable to be there for your loved ones, sucks more, I believe.”

I personally would take advice from the second doc, but never the first.

2 Likes

I agree, the first example is extreme but it illustrates the major implication. The doctor is supposed to represent reality in the equation but if what they say is a lie your truth seems crazy. You will be stuck in an absurd irrational delusion that the meds are harmful against the supposed reality that they are perfectly fine. It’s a ridiculous conflict in a situation where reality is the important factor. The reality of the medications should be stated plainly, and not seem like a detachment from reality.

2 Likes