Inequality in educational attainment found for schizophrenia patients

For me it’s been more the severe social anxiety, effects of severe verbal bullying and poor independent living skills that has impacted on that, rather than the schizophrenia in itself.

I’ve never had the self belief,self confidence, and feeling safe and secure enough, to do what more than a few here have admirably done.

With both ASD and schizophrenia/ schizo-affective much is made of functioning levels. The trouble is it’s often used in a very simplistic way. One in which you are seen as being uniformly high,medium,or low functioning. Seen as high functioning -no need to give much help, when in reality you may have a spiky profile re the skills needed to lead a healthy and productive life. Seen as low functioning- a token effort to improve things.

3 Likes

I’ve been creating my own positive affirmations tapes using a text to speech mp3 converter app. I make them a couple of minutes in duration and then play one on loop for 10 minutes or so. I found them helpful for breaking old thought and emotional patterns.

Social anxiety and self doubt was more detrimental to my mental health and life achievements than experience of psychosis.

I might have personality disorder.

1 Like

i did my best
cognitive problems and social problems were about equal
could not have done more with extra support

I was lucky enough to crash only after my studies. I agree with the spiky profile thing & weird way they diagnose functioning levels in autism.

I finished a Masters degree. It was useless. I picked the wrong study. I was good at intellectual things. (Near) photographic memory, sharp in seeing details and connections, abstract thinking. I was bored out of my mind at school, even in uni. My executive functions are horrible though. Not sure if I never had them, or they slowly withered away by lack of use. Also I had social and emotional limitations. Have, to a lesser extent.

For me, this meant I could graduate top of my class without any effort. I think I barely visited any lessons or opened a book. But in a high-level work environment, I’m useless. I was in a field where leadership roles are logical. On paper you want me in this (MSc, good grades). In practice I’m clueless as to what to do in such a job. Totally at loss. Can’t function. I need a low key life and job, especially after psychosis. I see the same with a friend of mine with ADD.

So all the nice diploma’s ended in volunteering one day a week in a coffee bar. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Maybe if I picked some nerdy research oriented field, like physics, it might have worked. But not sure. I don’t fit in working places. My functioning profile is spiky too.

1 Like

Yes-self doubt. Same for me.

Both of those ring a very loud personal bell.

1 Like

I can imagine, from what you’ve told before. I was never diagnosed, but it would not surprise me even one bit if I too was somewhere on the spectrum.

At 27 I would memorize the complete technical drawings of a new hospital wing in one glance. In detail. Telling them exactly, after three months, which details changed (on the level of: “hey, there should be four instead of two sockets here, or people can’t work”). At the same time I dated an obviously untrustworthy partner. And was clueless as to what was happening, because lying and pretending to be different than you are were incomprehensible to me. Only when he literally told me “I am manipulating you and everyone else”…a lightbulb went on…“ahhh…so people lie sometimes…”. That’s social skills on a 5 year old’s level.

So that’s a bit suspicious, i do think. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

How do you deal with that? Did you have help to learn such skills or compensate? Like autism coaching?

There’s been no help at all.

1 Like

Really? :-o

I’m a bit shocked about that. I was never even diagnosed, but I thought that was a “we-don’t-recognize-girls-on-the-spectrum”-thing. Or me not fitting exactly in this box. I hoped when you have a diagnose, people would actually sit you down and help you with things like planning or social skills (as well as recognizing the strenghts that also come with this to heal the bad self-esteem).

What did they do then, when they found out your diagnosis?

1 Like

I was given a booklet, but there was no F2F help. In the UK they act as though ASD miraculously ceases to be a difficulty when you become an adult.

1 Like

shakes head

A booklet?! Yeah, because that’s a real great way to learn social and emotional skills and executive functions. Sometimes I do not understand the whole MH system. If you are anything like me, you’d have no trouble reading the booklet…but putting it into practice is the hard stuff.

1 Like

A major problem is decades and decades of serious underfunding. With autism based services being especially underfunded and understaffed .

1 Like

Yeah, here as well. I have found a specialized organisation for testing and helping autistic adults now. They are supposedly good. They have 30-35 weeks of waiting lists. And our whole MH system is like that. Sometimes there are waiting lists of a year or more, or they wouldnt even take in new clients. The regular psychiatrists, in my experience, have no clue about autism. At all. They have been of no use. And funding is lessened even more now.

1 Like

Even when I was a child I stayed home from school a lot. I would say I had a stomach ache and my mom would take me over to my grandmas while my mom was at work. It was because of my mental illness that I did this.

Most disabled people don’t get a university degree here. It’s not exclusive for sz.

That’s why most jobs that are reserved for disabled people only require a high school degree.