Increasingly popular ‘high-functioning’ label uses success at work or in school to mask poor mental health, psychologist says

6 Likes

Hahahahaaa. I do have poor mental health. Keeping busy is how I cope with it.

7 Likes

I wonder what a healthy mind is. A mind with no addiction. A mind with no depression or anxiety or psychosis. A mind that functions and can store information. A mind that can focus and learn. What defines what a healthy mind is?

2 Likes

Id say large majority of people who work in north America have poor mental health.

Its a result of a capitalist driven system.

2 Likes

Something my dad likes to say is “What is normal? Is anyone actually normal?”

The difference with our variation of normal is it varies to the extreme.

1 Like

I kid you not i have had weeks worth if work where all i did was watch youtube and listen to music and maybe write 1 or 2 emails when i havent been functioning well.

Im just fortunate I have a job where it can go unnoticed.

4 Likes

Boredom.

:partying_face::tada:

2 Likes

Some days I’m so out of it I don’t even know how I pull it off
I can pay bills, drive a car do laundry and everything else to take care of myself including work ---- but I KNOW I’m pretty freakin crazy

4 Likes

Yeah. Not a fan of the high functioning label in any form from a long time here.

To make this site your pretty high functioning in our community but compared to most so called normal people we are light years behind.

Even those who do well in the real world fight harder and are more compromised than most. It sux to have a mental illness and differentiating between levels isn’t helpfull in my opinion. Yes. It’s great to see success stories and we really need to focus on that but I think it’s confusing and not quite accurate if you compare it to what most normal people do…

I’m high functioning in a lot of respects but live off the grid these days on disability and have for two decades and don’t regret it in the slightest.

3 Likes

Some do better workwise than socially. Others are the opposite. Some struggle on both scores. There’s a danger in heaping too much praise on the the first lot yet trivialising their mental illness . The second group tend to be regarded less favourably by the general public, in an 'you can do x so why can’t you do y? ’ way. The third group are an eugenicist’s wet dream, as in the world would be much better if they were never born. All those groups deserve to be treated better.

There’s so much more I could say, but that would go against forum rules.

1 Like

I was a normie before schizophrenia, but I think schizophrenia affects your childhood growing up before you get it. I was a loner growing up and struggled in school. I went from intermediate algebra to linear algebra in 3 years though. It was night and day like a 180 or laser focus. Now I’m disabled…

I am high functioning.

In bed.

:partying_face: :cucumber:

2 Likes

Yeah, I could have written that.

2 Likes

The high functioning label is also great for communicating that you won’t be screaming at them that you’re the messiah or cutting their cable with hedge clippers anytime soon. Stigma is real. This article is silly IMHO. I always call myself a “recovered” sza (that’s the term I’m comfortable with). It would be misleading to imply that I’m symptomatic by not adding an adjective to the label.

2 Likes

I’m not a recovered SZ. I do function very well, though.

:thinking:

2 Likes

I mean, I know it’s not literally true, I’m not cured, perhaps recovering would be a better word, I’m not totally sure. I have heard the term recovering used by reputable sources so it seems to be pretty PC, but I think some type of term is useful. There’s a lot of schizophrenics out there who do not present symptomatically and I want more people to know we are out there, and that the symptomatic form of this disease is not the only form it takes over one’s lifetime.

1 Like

I tell people my condition is well-managed, which is true. I put up with ongoing positive symptoms as taking enough APs to eliminate them leaves me unable to work or do much else. I have traded increased function for decreased comfort.

3 Likes

How I function as a member of this forum, and how I do IRL are somewhat different. A forum such as this plays to my strengths. IRL I get quite a lot of support. That makes a big difference. As previously mentioned things were a lot worse before I moved to be near my daughter in September 2017.

I was judged harshly for decades, because short interactions with mental health professionals were very much verbal. Doing well verbally meant that there was an expectation, a demand even, that I do well all ways round. Things I genuinely struggle with were seen as proof of a disordered personality.

The problems I had are not in any shape or form to do with having a severe mental illness. They were, and also have been, a product of the very prevalent, but not universal, gap between adaptive functioning and intelligence that occurs with ASD. Adaptive functioning being noticeably lower than would reasonably be expected given a person’s level of intelligence.

My daughter did a splendid job of debunking myths about me that had been allowed to go unchecked for over 4 decades. She was the one who mentioned autism during my 1st appointment here,in Wiltshire, with a pdoc. After the hassle I’d had in Essex, and not knowing the new pdoc, I would probably have said nothing.

So functioning is a mixed bag for me. For the last 4 or more years I’ve been very much flat bound. Reason? Lower back pain- Covid - falls resulting in broken femur. There’s a big difference between being a natural indoors type of person, but able to go out when you need,or want to, and a total inability to do so without support.