In a nutshell

Strange as it might be, schizophrenia, may be the missing link in new brain receptors. This would be the reason why the misfiring takes place during hormonal imbalances, ages 21-25. This is why so many people use drugs to shut them down, damaging the ones they really need to use for common, everyday purposes. The damage is more done by the modern medicines we use, by not being able to rebuild receptors. Think, if we would have harnessed the new receptors that schizophrenia is, what they might have become.

2 Likes

Good thoughts as always,
thank you @TheGreatestDrZen

I have often wondered how I got schizophrenia, there are genetic causes because in my family we have quite many schizophrenics, but still this can not be the only cause because some relatives of mine such as my cousin, whose mother spent her life in mental hospitals due to her sz, does not have sz. I can date my earliest voices to April 1998 when I started hearing voices such as ‘You are with the Devil’ in America. I was 30 years old and I suppose some environmental factors and stress caused that schizophrenia was triggered in my mind. Since my childhood I knew that this risk existed which is why I tried to live a very stressfree life in my youth. But it came anyway, I could not prevent it.

1 Like

@TheGreatestDrZen

This is not a new theory. Emil Kraepelin, widely considered the father of modern psychiatry, posited a theory that schizophrenia was caused by an imbalance of sexual hormones. Modern psychiatry has built on Kraepelin’s theory with a focus on the reproductive hormone oestrogen, and its impact on the central nervous system.

I respectfully disagree that the hormone theory can explain schizophrenia in a nutshell, for I believe it’s a component of several components. For example, how does the hormone theory explain neurotransmitters, such as serotonin and glutamate, involvement in the pathophysiology of schizophrenia?

My first symptoms occurred at puberty. I know the consensus is that sz occurs in early twenties and later, but I think it’s overlooked and not researched properly…Anyway, I agree with the hormonal imbalance contributing.
As I slip into menopause, there’s been a tweaking in my ability to balance and I have to learn to reset, if I can.
I don’t believe there’s a single cause, so I don’t want to give that impression. I think many factors combine to create sz, but hormones are powerful things and I do believe the timing in my case was at least partially hormonal.

1 Like