Important factors in good mental health and quality of life?

In support group we talked about how socializing, learning and education, and good nutrition among other things are great for mental health recovery. I think some sort of gainful employment, leisure activity or relaxing time, an occasional travel trip or change of scenery, and hope of improvement are big for me. What do you do to balance your mental health and quality of life?

4 Likes

I play guitar, work, maintain social connections, and do things that make me feel useful.

1 Like

I feel that an adequate but not excessive dose of the right medication can be very helpful. This can change your disposition, making you more likely to take part in constructive activities which help you improve.

2 Likes

If you keep comparing yourself with people without schizophrenia then they would all be frail.

2 Likes

I actually went to a support group too early in the course of my illness. It was not right for me, I was unable to participate in the discussions because I suffered from alogia. I hated and envied everyone there for being more high functioning than me and being able to speak fluently. The lady who ran it seemed to have a holier than thou type of attitude, like she knew more than all of us. She would brag about her children and family and all the normal things she was able to do. At the end of the day I feel like she was just in it for the money and the ego stroking, yes she has experience with szs blah blah blah, but no two szs are the same. And you cannot counsel anyone about psychosis when you have never experienced it from their perspective imo. Since then I’ve sworn off therapy and am my own therapist. As for losing that crucial forum for interaction…I have found my own unique ways of getting by which don’t cost however many dollars a session.

1 Like

Haha idk I went to a Christian group and though I am Christian there was something about that group that was very wealthy and holier than thou lol. But everyone was still understanding. I feel people with mental illness will generally be more understanding. Our other support groups has all kinds of clowns from guys living in shelters to people who are taking a break from work. It is a high functioning but rowdy and fun crowd. I just love the people with bipolar they are often so funny and laid back. Maybe you just didn’t find the right bunch. My schizophrenia support group has quite a few people who just smile and don’t really talk except with yes or no answers. It is still fun though. Maybe clubhouse.

1 Like

This is directed at everyone but since I started programming class I really felt that some intellectual pursuit everyday is really great for me mentally. I really recommend trying out the education thing like by learning a new instrument or skill, learning therapy techniques, reading, seeing a museum docent at the museum, taking an online class in any subject that might interest you, taking an art class, etc…

3 Likes

I try to stick to a routine everyday.

1 Like

Vegetarian pizza thin crust pizza - generic brand.

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.