Impact of aging on schizophrenia

Don’t you relapse without medicine

Its difficult to find peace aging. All psychotic episodes add up in time. My file is ridiculous big and not even accurate. There is stuff in my life which sticks on me like a tattoo. It seems sz is still unknown, a diagnosis from the past, its outdated. It can be split into many small mental diseases. Anyway, I decided to leave the mental health system cause the doctors stopped helping me. I noticed I got treated like a criminal than someone with mental illness. Its too late for me, I wish I would have known stuff 30 years ago but there was no internet and very little was known about the brain. I resigned to my fate. I took my chances and lost as most sz do. I try to avoid ending in a home eating cabbagesoup all day. I am some zombie in the filesystem and its going to stay that way.

Schizophrenia doesn’t magically get better with age. If it gets better it’s because you put in a bit of effort which adds up over time.

What constitutes effort then? I got better with only mental effort it seems. I went from seeing hordes of monsters every hour to one episode a month. Sadly these circumstances are rare apparently.

Actually it just came to me. Back when I was psychotic I was under stress from studies, an office job and parents. Nowdays I have no stress at all being unemployed. This is probably the real reason why it is easier for me to control myself.

1 Like

I was told early on by one of my psychiatrists that schizophrenia tends to improve for men, but gets worse for women both around the age of 40. Of course there are exceptions to this rule but that is the general trend.

I’m in my 40’s and I am definitely doing better than when I was in my 20’s.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.