Schizophrenia.com

Imagining a Conversation in Advance

I’m not sure if this is the area this belongs in, but here goes.

Do you have the habit of imagining how a conversation might go in advance… What you are going to say, Etc?. If he says this, I will say that, kind of thing.

I know that it is pointless and futile, but I find myself getting caught up in that kind of thinking sometimes. It’s vexing to me that I know better, but I do it anyway.

Any advice?

2 Likes

I have full blown conversations and I practice looking at my self in the mirror also I am an expert at the way I say things to people !

1 Like

I should be an actor ! !

1 Like

When I was in kindergarten I used to practice saying this line from the first ghostbusters movie where he goes let’s show prehistoric b!!! How we do things downtown!

1 Like

It makes me think of Robert De Niro in the movie Taxi Driver, LOL. I used to do the same thing, now I just ramble away in my head and imagine how the person will respond.

Practicing a conversation is common. I think going over different scenarios to be prepared is fine. Just don’t let it be an anxious thing. You can’t predict every outcome and there is only so prepared you can be.

1 Like

@leaf wise words. I find sometimes it just gets me bent out of shape anyway. Not a good way to spend my time and energy

1 Like

It’s quite normal, I do it a lot.

1 Like

That looks like anxiety for me, it happens for me sometimes with strangers.

1 Like

I do this too. The thing that gets me is I never imagine it the way it actually goes, and something almost always pops up that I wasn’t preparing for.

1 Like

@alien99 I find the same thing. Sometimes I get myself bent out of shape, expecting the person to argue the point, but when we speak all this goes away and it’s actually quite a calm peaceful conversation. I don’t know why, I think I’ve just grown to expect shite from people because of my experiences

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.