Imaginative Figure Drawing

I use clip studio I used sketchbook autodesk but I didn’t liked as much as clip studio , never tried photoshop

1 Like

how Did you learned to sketch ?

1 Like

Hey @anon48059102!

I hadn’t heard of Clip Studio, so I cannot vouch for it.

Drawing, for me, is about dedication. Several things deeply affect your ability to draw:

1. Linear Perspective
  2. Visualization Capabilities
  3. Anatomy
  4. Practice (but not necessarily tons of it)

Out of those four abilities, I think the most important is the ability to visualize – to see with your eyes things that aren’t really there. Seeing that we are on a forum for schizophrenia, I think you and I both have that ability (:joy:)!!

I practice my visualization skills every day, exercising them like an athlete or bodybuilder exercises their muscles. I also try to stay away from previsualized materials (films, videogames), preferring always to try to ‘see it’ with my mind instead of having it visualized for me.

Previsualized materials are fun, but they train the brain to be dependent on what it is fed, so-to-speak.

Linear Perspective is the set of rules that tell you why things look the way they do. I would recommend starting out with a cube and familiarizing yourself with the way it appears from various perspectives. Start with simple shapes first, then advance to more complex shapes, like the figure. Handprint is the best source for information on linear perspective on the internet. I have studied his work extensively. (https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/tech10.html)

For anatomy, I would recommend the simple drawings of a master draftsman, Glenn Vilppu. A $35.00 - 44.00 subscription to a website called ‘New Masters Academy’ would probably do you wonders. Vilppu taught me how to see the figure without actually copying from the model. He has an extensive amount of videos at New Masters Academy (and you can find all sorts of various and sundry training videos at NMA about anatomy, linear perspective and color). (https://www.nma.art/)

Practice is fine and dandy, but without the ability to see (visualize), you are like Don Quixote against the windmill. The windmill of complexity will beat you down every time and you’ll find yourself progressively more frustrated (and likely to give up).

Art is seeing. …and I cannot overemphasize the ability to see with your eyes what really isn’t there.

It’s one of the reasons I hate the medicine so much! I have to take it, but it does profoundly affect my ability to see!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.