I'm thinking of adding crying to my repertoire

Why not? I get angry all the time, why not add crying? I earned the right.

(Well, except that I usually laugh when I see men on TV crying).

But sadness and reflection feel kind of good at my age.

8 Likes

Men who show their emotions are usually more interesting. Go for it.

7 Likes

My brother once explained to me that crying actually reduces stress chemicals in the brain. He explained this in great scientific detail as my brother does with everything. He was very convincing. I would repeat him verbatim but I can’t remember it all. The point is my brother thinks you SHOULD cry. And if it’s good enough for my brother it should be good enough for you lol.

3 Likes

There is little difference to children of both genders crying in early development. What changes for male children is that they reach the age of 5 or 6 and then little boys are conditioned not to cry, mostly by their parents.

Here lies the fundamentals of social pressure for males not to cry as it is pressured throughout school and upwards.

Both, male and female humans have tear glands designed specifically for this purpose, the only difference is that boys were told not to cry, whereas females generally don’t have the same pressure.

If you feel the desire and pain to cry then by all means don’t feel the pressure of countless generations boys to conceal it or the shame associated with it. It is a release of emotion and pressure in itself.

Go for it!

8 Likes

I think crying is healthy. I just wish it were easier for me to do.

4 Likes

I always feel better after a good cry in private. I always put on a mean front in public tho. Plenty of times ive booed my eyes out over the loss of my daughter. Its healthy to cry sometimes.

3 Likes

@CoCo
I don’t cry either.

3 Likes

I got punished for crying growing up. Now it’s so hard to do. I feel myself crying on the inside but nothing happens on the outside.

2 Likes

@CoCo
Oh no! I’m so sorry you didn’t experience the support and expression you needed! That’s terrible!

1 Like

I’m guessing a lot of us here didn’t get the support we need.

1 Like

My parents chastised me for crying when young, 'cry baby ’ and stuff. But after my disease stuff builds up and anger needs an outlet. But nobody dserves it. and depression and desperation and frustration. I cry every 6 months to a year. I hide it but it feels good and I bounce back. Thanks to the lord for this healthy thing.

1 Like

You mean if I cry, women will be throwing themselves at me?
Damn, here comes the waterworks.

3 Likes

I haven’t cried since I got diagnosed. Even at funerals. It’s unhealthy I think.

I’m sorry @Naarai over the loss of your daughter.
Did she pass away?

1 Like

I cried a little at mum’s funeral. I’m usually pretty bullet proof but they had a picture of my mother and my dear departed cat! That really made me tear up!

1 Like

I haven’t cried in two years and can’t seem to do it anymore. If I were my old self, I might have a good cry over getting schizophrenia and loosing so much functioning but maybe it’s a good thing I no longer can dwell on it. I’ve been actively avoiding things that would make me cry by focusing on happy things like improvement, working, and sunsets.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.