I'm supposed to

So have a list of 3 things to accomplish. 1 quit smoking 2 exercise on my bike 15 minutes a day 3 write down what I’m anxious about. So far I suck at all three things.

For 1 it’s the nicotine addiction and the fact that no matter what I do my husband won’t get on board with the quitting and it’s so hard for me with the cigarettes sitting right there.

For 2 it’s simply a lack of motivation, this will be the easiest one to accomplish, I know I can do it. I will start today. I will. I can do this.

For 3 I have no idea what I’m anxious about all the time. I just have a million thoughts bombarding me, rapid fire. And I feel overwhelmed and anxious. When I try to concentrate on just one thought so I can go about analyzing it or writing it down my mind goes blank and I can’t think of anything to write down.

There’s things I know I think, but they are too horrible to write down. I’m afraid it I write them it will make them real, or I will be a bad person for thinking those things. This for me is the most difficult of the three. I put pen to paper and I freeze. It’s going to take some time to open that up.

4 Likes

Write down what you could accomplish without anxiety.

1 Like

is this part of cbt??

1 Like

I know exactly how you feel. I have often given thought to keeping a journal but i am afraid someone would find it and read all the things i’ve written.

2 Likes

no, it’s just to get it out of my head to make me less anxous.

If you keep at it I think you someday can do these things you set as goals.

2 Likes

Have you thought of getting the patches to help quit smoking? I know they have a website that you can fill out some info and they will send you some free ones.

The bike you could do it you just thought about it differently, maybe just think about peddling for only 5 songs (that’s about 15 mins) then your thinking more about what songs to choose that are fun to ride to.

I can only really bring myself to sit and write when I first wake up, maybe it would work better for you then too - before your feeling too many things at once.
Or if you have a phone, talk text yourself notes.

2 Likes

For me that motivation was the hardest thing to start exercising regularly. At one point you just need to do it. It does get easier the more you do it and I’ve found that the actual motivation to exercise really does get a lot easier…that is the catch 22. Taking that first step is the hardest thing you’ll do!

I like the idea of writing down your goals and ticking them off as you go. For me getting a fitness tracker provided the desire to do better and slowly I built up my goals.

Good luck. I know you can do it as I’ve come from a similar place. Champix helped with nicotine for me.

4 Likes

I totally agree about motivating yourself to exercise. I walk on the treadmill in the mornings and when i first started it was dreadful. I hated doing it but i told myself that thirty minutes really isn’t that long and made myself do it. Now i’ve been doing it for a while and i’ve gotten over that hump and it’s really no big deal now. I walk and it doesn’t bother me too much. Good luck @Leaf!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.