I'm not on any antipsychotic. Who else doesn't take meds?

Ask your doctor to change meds. Don’t stop them.

3 Likes

If you think it’s a good idea then go for it, we’re not gonna stop you. If the side effects are too much I understand

1 Like

I have to take my meds. I only know this because I stopped taking them before too. I only made it 5 days so you are doing better than I did. We all have to live and learn.

Sexual dysfunction sucks but I have Viagara and it works when I need it.

Hopefully you were taking a low dose when you stopped. Because when you relapse you will need a lot more.

Is this the first time you have quit?

3 Likes

I’ve been very stable for the better part of the last two decades. By “stable” I mean that I can not only pass for a neurotypical for extended periods when I need to, but I can generally outperform them professionally (the ones in my immediate working environment, at least).

I still need my meds.

4 Likes

Yes, like @shutterbug says. Even if you are stable, you need the meds. They are almost certainly what’s keeping you stable.

3 Likes

@StonePaperScissors

1. Does you doctor know you went off?

2. When do you see you doctor again?

3. Have you tried other meds?

4. Are you in therapy?

5. Are you willing to switch to a doctor who will put you on lower meds?

2 Likes

@StonePaperScissors Please take your meds again. I get angry when off-meds. I hope you won’t do anything let’s say unwanted.

1 Like

Sounds like your pdoc refused a taper because he/she didn’t approve of your decision. I don’t see any other reason why he or she would refuse to give you a taper

1 Like

Think you might be playing with fire. When I went off my meds many years ago I was fine for 2 months then had the southern hemisphere’s wildest psychotic episode. It took years to recover.

4 Likes

You might be off meds but do you have a job or are you taking classes? Do you have friends are you able to manage a social life? Do you have a good relationship with your family? Do the people around you feel you are doing well off meds? You might feel you don’t need them but my guess is you would probably function better on meds…

Take Spedra for sexual problems.It does miracles.

2nd time I quit. After my first hospitalization I was meds for 4 weeks. Came of them and was fine for 8 months until my 2nd episode after which I was on meds for 10 months.

My doctor knows I went off meds. I see my doctor on the 11th of feb. Haven’t tried other meds and I might be getting cbt/councilling soon. Switching doctors isn’t really an option for me at the moment.

1 Like

Yeah she said allowing me to taper would be ‘aiding and abetting’…

She was a total b i t c h about it. Anyone coming off meds should stop slowly not suddenly like I did. Lucky I didn’t get rebound psychosis.

1 Like

Jobless atm without a social life, but I’ve been applying for a few jobs. I function the same on and off meds. I feel the same, if not better.

1 Like

I dont understand your doctor, but i hope it works out well for you!

Do you have a WRAP or safety plan or so, or at least have your signs and signals clear for yourself, so that you and others can recognize it early when you arent doing well?

Yeah I have signs and signals. Months before psychosis if I have a delusion or paranoia I’ll know the illness is returning. Also prior to a psychotic episode I should have trouble sleeping for a week or so as I did with both my previous psychotic episodes. And finally if I get emotional for no reason then it means my psychosis is round the corner.

1 Like

Most doctors recommend a year an a half with zero symptoms before messing with meds. You’ve only been stable since May. Your brain hasn’t fully healed yet. Go back on your meds and give yourself a chance to actually recover.

7 Likes

The scary part is that it could come back worse and your meds will be less effective. I understand the desire to stop meds but if your dr is not recommending it, it’s probably for a good reason. Best of luck, there are way to many stories of people messing themselves up by going off meds.

Maybe you feel you have nothing to lose, but you do.

1 Like

GOLDEN RULE NO1 - ALWAYS TAKE YOUR DAMN MEDS.

EVEN WHEN FEELING WELL.

Nuff Said.

13 Likes