I'm not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens

Woody Allen again. Last one, I promise.

2 Likes

Excellent. Great movie. It’s too bad his legacy got a little tarnished with his
daughters (step-daughters?) accusations.

Yep sure is. 15 chars

A little tarnished? I never heard about it when it originally surfaced, but I’m kinda shocked, he abused that poor girl! But I bet he’s not on the sex offenders register.

He was never convicted of anything as far as I know.

That’s right, basically because the prosecutors didn’t want to put the daughter on the stand, and Woody Allen got a big helping hand from an incompetent hospital team assessing the daughter to taint the evidence. But if you dig a little deeper into what’s known about what happens from investigators who wrote in detail about the case, it looks pretty sure that he did it.

It’s trial by media, a poor substitute for a proper court of law. But like with OJ, we know that these things don’t always go right, and there are a few shades of grey between totally pure and innocent until proven guilty.

Yeah well with OJ you had serious police corruption and that’s what got him off

It might have been corruption. But also shoddy police work was to blame. And also working in O.J.'s favor was the “race card”.

I would suggest caution in making suggestions about what is actually so relative to the Woody Allen - Mia Farrow mess. Ms. Farrow relentlessly demonstrated a lot of symptoms of a serious, DSM II and IV Axis II psychiatric disorder during that period… yet the adopted daughter did not… and has not.

I’m not defending WA, here. I don’t know enough to know exactly what happened (nor do any of us, I expect), but I do know what I can see with my own eyes and hear with my own ears.

Okay, now… let’s get back on the topic you started with. I love Woody’s parodies of classic, mid-century, New York City, Jewish neurosis, but if we take the messages other than he intended, are we getting anything useful from them?

Are death and dying are grossly misrepresented by the agents of the wealth accumulating elites who make billions terrifying us of entirely natural phenomena the better Asian cultures seem to have gotten over thousands of years ago?

Death IS what happens. Dying IS what happens. Do we do ourselves any favors whatsoever getting all wrenched by all our introjected ideas about events we can only speculate about? WTF is the point? Other than making ourselves neurotic at best and gawd-awful f-ed up at worst.

The real existentialists (and Hindus, and Buddhists and Sufis) all know this. Should we get down with Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, Jiddu Krishnamurti or Stephen Levine if the ideas we have about death and dying are making us anxious? I sure think so.

Okay. Off my soapbox and onto something completely different.

I love Rumi…**

1 Like

" its not the end, that I fear with each breath, its life that scares me to death "