I'm having really bad problems with motivation

Start little tasks or goals and than work your way up to bigger things.

1 Like

Going to try and do some art, listen to audio book and go for walk tomorrow. Have a bath as well.

2 Likes

I’ve been struggling with motivation too. My increase in Haldol makes me want to sleep all day. I haven’t exercised in 3 weeks. I don’t read books anymore, I don’t play piano, I just don’t feel like doing anything.

I just convinced my pdoc today to let me lower my dose so I can have my energy back. I’m still being followed and recorded and she knows that, but since the increase didn’t stop that anyway she told me I can try going back to my previous dose.

2 Likes

I feel I’m wasting my life away most days. It’s a struggle with this illness. I might be insane but I find the library helpful. Get out in the sunshine if you can.

1 Like

I’m a buddhist working towards becoming a residential steward at a monastery, hopefully one day to ordain as a monk. I would say buddhism is a double edged sword when it comes to motivation, though the path is very indivdiualized. My only advice is to meditate. Don’t bother with books, but if you must, start with a commentary and translation of the dhammapada and then move onto the nikaya’s. Or if you want to focus on samadhi meditation, read “The Path To Purification”. But be warned, they go into details about supernatural powers via this meditation, and this could be triggering. Buddhism tends to, as you get very deep into it and progress in meditation, demotivate you from worldly matters. But again, if your focus is breath meditation, you will be motivated still to the spiritual path.

Good luck and best wishes in this life.

2 Likes

One thing that helps me is to identify my goal, and then to plot out the steps I need to take toward accomplishing it. Then when I’m doing things and feel like I’m losing my motivation, I remind myself of my goal.

Another thing that helps me is to know which parts of the day I am most suited to certain tasks, for example reading or writing, or things like cleaning or running errands. Then to get into a routine of doing these things at the times when I feel I will be most successful.

1 Like

That’s good news Pianogal, hopefully your motivation will come back then, at least somewhat.

1 Like

oh right, did not know this about Buddhism, I thought that those things were not part of their beliefs.

Aw thankyou!! Likewise to you, Word.

Do you know what triggers you? or do you have control over how you react to anything startling or unexpected? Things like that help to not be phased when something does go wrong. I’m not sure how to verbalise it though.

1 Like

I don’t understand, sorry

How is the course going? Are you managing ok with the workload?

What I mean, is that if you’re able to detach yourself from things and feel calmer when things are happening - you might be able to avoid paranoia - I think that’s what I’m saying

It’s okay, I kind of cram for assignments and exams but I’ve managed to try to start assignments earlier recently and I think it’s making a difference in quality

1 Like

Do you have a job?

I pushed myself today and drove to the market with my father.
I waited in the car but at least I wasn’t home all day long.

I plan on doing more things each day but my lack of motivation is just awful!

I’ve wasted so many years vegging out!

1 Like

Same here. Im improving though.

1 Like

It’s ironic, the more worn down I get, the more I am able to do… Continuously fighting myself.

You can try SMART goals.

https://www.yourcoach.be/en/coaching-tools/smart-goal-setting.php

It is as easy as reading say 4 pages of a book a day and playing games for half an hour.
Been at it for a week. It works.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.