I'm going to find a cure, dammit

Or at least improved plans of treatment. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before, but I am currently a neuroscience major. It is my goal and dream in life to go into research and study schizophrenia (among other things) in depth, to gain a better understanding of it. I’ve formulated several different ideas already, and have written a few short papers, but of course I’m only young and have years of learning ahead of me.

I was very blessed in that I didn’t get full-blown schizophrenia, just this weird psychotic disorder. However I’m going to use my own disabilities to try to find connections, and share ways that I’ve been managing to get by. I want to do anything I can to help…

Some day. I want to change things. Abolish awful med horror stories, and stories of hopelessness. I’ll be working for you guys. Things will get better!!

14 Likes

Wish you prosper in your career.
I believe the cure is in supplements, but we need science as well, to determine wich neurotransmitter is out of range. So far there is few neurotransmitters discovered amoung 100s of neurotransmitter, if all of them are discovered and balance with supplements all of the mentall illnesses can be cured, without needing surgery or medication.

2 Likes

It’s so difficult to find the right path with this disease. Opt for the medicinal route and you stay out of hospitals but risk losing any chance or hope of a true and lasting recovery. Your brain is permanently altered from lifelong antipsychotics.

2 Likes

good on you…
i am not so intelligent…
back to making another sandwich…bread…butter…cheese…YEAH…i can eat !?!
now for something challenging…a milkshake !
take care

2 Likes

sending good vibes your way!!!

2 Likes

Good luck. I hope your plans work out.

2 Likes

Haha don’t be so hard on yourself, people are intelligent in different ways!

1 Like

I’m fascinated by neurotransmitters. That’s another thing I’d like to incorporate in my research. Currently I’m working in a lab that studies the effects of specific neurotransmitters (norepinephrine is one) on appetite. It’s pretty interesting! It really lets you see how much they control all of our behaviors. For example, in one experiment we have to inject a certain neurotransmitter directly into a rat’s brain (I won’t take time explaining how haha) and they immediately become thirsty and start drinking. It’s nuts!

1 Like

norephinephrine aslo plays role in mood and mental focus, I have rose mine a little, but I need to rise more along with other neurotransmitters.

They say that the next century will be the century of the brain. With the advent of quantum computers we will be able to map out all the neural connections in the brain. That makes me wonder about questions of individual responsibility and guilt. If we’re at the mercy of our neurotransmitters, how can we be guilty of anything, even murder?

That must be a hell of a reason to live to find a drug that can ease peoples suffering

1 Like