I'm considering quitting smoking for my New Years resolution

I’ve been thinking about quitting off and on and I figure since New Years is only a month away, that might be a good time to try. I honestly don’t know if I can do it but I really should quit.

12 Likes

I started smoking when I was 11.

Managed to quit for 18 months before and it was surprisingly easy…

However I went back to it.

It’s up to you. Sometimes I think about it, but then I remember that it’s one of those things that is now a part of me.

2 Likes

Invest in a decent vape - they go for about £60 GBP here. Its far better than going cold turkey and just slowly reduce the Nic Salt.

4 Likes

I was a willing slave to nictotine from 14 till 39 years of age. It worked for my damaged mind and gave me a lot of solace but I stopped for health reasons. Couldn’t have done it without medical help and champix.

Still. Single best thing I ever did for my health and I’m a decade gone without a smoke…it’s so worthwhile if you can do it.

4 Likes

Go for it man ! just do it as the logo says ! I am on day 5 without nicotine or tobaco

3 Likes

You can do it! You have to keep trying and trying until it sticks. I quit 3 years ago. One of my accomplishments I’m most proud of.

3 Likes

On one hand, I say yes! Do it! Because I know firsthand that quitting will make you feel physically better, obviously, but also mentally better. You’ll be proud off yourself for quitting, plus there’s the benefit of not being a slave to something, and always having to go out and smoke. And then there’s the $$ savings.

But I’m wary of starting it as a New Year’s resolution. No one sticks to theirs.

Maybe pick a different date, like February 4, or something random like that. It might feel like less pressure.

2 Likes

the last cigarette is a myth until after it’s finished

2 Likes

Why wait? People who say they are going to do things and put them off for the future generally never do it.

So do it today! Stub it out and 2 weeks later you’ll be mostly craving free,

4 Likes

I quit smoking myself and its been nothing but beneficial. Feel better and save money.

2 Likes

i also could not have done it without help
the scheme at the time was free patches etc if you attend meetings with a quit smoking nurse
that was when i got out though
last cigarette was 16,06.06 near the end of 9 months inpatient

1 Like

You can do it. You just need to be determined and Committed to it

1 Like

“You can do ittttt”

I quit smoking with the pregnancy, I obviously only quit because I had to… I honestly still crave one sometimes but I will not because I know once I have one, I’ll get right back to smoking regularly :confused:

1 Like

I want to quit too but it would make me a 100% couch potato if I did that. I tend to get restless after too much time sitting still.

1 Like

The Hardest part of anything is the begining.

i quit Thursday. today was hard, i just manage to fight off paranoia after 2 hours of having it.

i didn’t crave ciggaretes as much as junk food, at least today

i will put some weight for sure but it’s gonna be worth it

@Bowens don’t be scared/make excuses anymore. you’re thinking about quitting, congratulations on your first step

2 Likes

I’m right there with you dude. I know I need to quit, want to quit in a way.

But what I’m scared is how I’m going to react, what it will do to my mind. I know the irritation, I know the positives, and I know the depression.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

flounce tippy-tap clomp bleat bleat

That’s the llama dance of unwavering support.

3 Likes

I need to try to at least wait until I can get my mom to quit with me. It will be 1000% harder if she is still smoking. She should be getting Chantix soon.

1 Like

Actually start today and fail will be probably better as a learning experience along the way
don’t make excuses
before giving up for good I gave up once for 10 months living with a person who dealt tobacco on the after market
I quit while still in a mental hospital where everyone was in the smoking room 24 seven
it’s totally doable
i used to smoke 60 a day
Preparing to give up smoking doesn’t work it’s still smoking
As well, most people don’t manage it first time anyway

1 Like

Good luck with quitting smoking.
I will quit vaping if my negative symptoms improve.

1 Like

You can quit man, I believe in you! @Bowens

2 Likes