I'm an awful person

I can’t escape that. I feel so guilty.

1 Like

Aww, anything in particular triggering this feeling, if I may ask?

I can feel that way sometimes, but I believe that most people are neither as good as or as bad as they think. I don’t know. People can pull some pretty rotten stuff. At least if you have some excuse for it, if you really have done something bad, but I’m doubting that you have.

I’m sorry you feel that way :frowning:

guilt is useless, it ties us to something we cannot change - the past, put it down and walk away, you’ll feel so much lighter and better. You did your best with the information and resources you had at the time, you can’t change it now, time to move on.

2 Likes

I fear that my choices may result in another person’s death, and I have no way of knowing for sure.

Hey friend. I’m sorry you’re feeling so much guilt right now. Try to remember what @Leaf said. You can only make decisions using the information available to you at the time. I don’t know the details, but I know you and I know you always try to do the right thing. Sometimes, it’s not possible to know how certain choices will turn out. Don’t let that stop you from continuing to try whenever possible.

Blaming yourself for not being able to predict the future is a waste of energy that could be better spent on loving yourself and others. The more you hate yourself for falling short of perfection, the longer you’ll spend treading water instead of moving forward.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you think this way. Hugs.

1 Like

I used to have this. It’s called “magical thinking” and is a symptom.

2 Likes

I was a rotten person, but I’m not really a person anyway.

I’m with @Leaf on this one. Guilt is useless; it isn’t proactive and doesn’t solve anything. Forgive yourself for whatever sin you feel you’ve committed, and move on. Try to do better in the future. I would be surprised to learn that you actually did something that caused someone’s death. I think that’s putting a bit too much on yourself.

(Trigger Warning) Unless you are like that girl that repeatedly encouraged her boyfriend to kill himself, then watched as he jumped off a building, I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

@BrianTex You aren’t rotten, and you most certainly ARE a person. How are your meds? Have you talked to your doctor about your feelings? I’m worried about you. Your posts have really been self-condemning and negative lately. How can we help?

3 Likes

@Happy_H I’m doing ok this morning. I see the pdoc and therapist this afternoon. Everything will be OK. I’m just a little lonely and having self identity crisis again.

2 Likes

@BrianTex Definitely keep in touch with your doctor. You are most certainly a human being.

Thanks everyone. I guess I’ve just been reflecting on it because my mom and brother and I have been watching The Blacklist. It’s a really good show, and I don’t want to stop watching, so I guess this is something I’m going to have to push through. I feel more relaxed now (I was afraid to read your replies), but I don’t know how to get rid of this pit in my stomach.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.