If you were suddenly normal tomorrow what lesson(s) would schizophrenia have taught you?

For me the biggest lesson would be

“The more help you need, the less you get;
The less help you need, the more you get”

9 Likes

Pretty much us could mean anyone though. No one cares about other people unless you’re in a position of power which could be a lot of things. But this feeling has been amplified since I’m sz. The neglect is great in this illness because we are near powerless.

5 Likes

life is simpler then it apears to be.
don’t beet you self over smaller view of the world.

3 Likes

You don’t have to always be happy to be content. And content is what you should aim for.

6 Likes

Don’t take anything for granted and enjoy the newfound happiness.

4 Likes

Humility and empathy. I know very well what hell is like, and how fast I can get there.

5 Likes

Empathy.
And not to judge others by how they appear, because I don’t know how hard their struggles might be.

4 Likes

Life circumstances can change in an instant. Money, education, health, and intelligence are variable. Unfortunately, there wont be a cure in our lifetime. Not even close. Not even in the next or subsequent lifetimes or parallel universes. We were given a ■■■■ life.

2 Likes

to pick the brains of other mentally ill people

to always get up in the morning no matter how terrible it seems

to be vigilant in caring for others

to know the library is good for me and my kids

to be creative and explore many methods.

2 Likes

To be so very thankful for all the love, kindness, forgiveness and strength that I’ve been blesses with. (And keep choosing to see it in the world, even if I have to squint sometimes)

Never to obsess with something bad to the point of letting it take me into the bad place - where I think dark things.

Do things that ‘feel like’ I’m doing the right thing. Be true to my inner compass.

(cool question )

4 Likes

if sz stopped tomorrow, I would have a greta appreciation of life…I would appreciate all the small things which I didn’t have before

7 Likes

The importance of family and friends. To not care about the validation of society.

5 Likes

Schizophrenia taught me patience by hours of nothing to do over the years.
It taught me what it feels like to suffer–and so when someone has a similar problem, I learned to understand and have compassion.
It gave me a lot of time to think and read, and in the process gain some wisdom about life. I am self aware.
It made me closer to my family.
I learned to be thankful for what I have, and not complain too much.
I learned a little bit how to be more social. I have more friends than ever before.

9 Likes

My personal lesson is that if I am capable of working, I should work. Being a net positive in society is pretty important.

3 Likes

biggest lesson would be, never take anything for granted but idk what it means lol

3 Likes

To never become schizophrenic again.

4 Likes

It has taught me that human brain function is very fragile in the face of chemical imbalances. That has taught me quite a bit about human behavior that I couldn’t fathom in the past, I think.

http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/nov01/vol59/num03/Fragile-Brains.aspx

“Is the human brain really fragile—delicate and easily damaged? I wish it weren’t so, but it is. Despite an encasement in tough dura mater, the three pounds of gelatin-like matter that constitute the brain are vulnerable to assaults by unfortunate genetic variations, misguided environmental adaptations, and toxic intrusions.”

In other words, a whole lot of people have brain damage. That explains a lot.

3 Likes

First off, I’d immediately be on the town carpin all those diems.

The lesson I would have learned is don’t take any day for granted and do what you love, paint, sing, whatever, it doesn’t even have to be good. But use that calm mind, it’s a gift! Not all of us have it.

One of these days I’ll carp at least a few diems despite my challenges.

2 Likes

To be humble and accepting… People suffer in all sorts of ways. Also, not to hide yourself away, it’s not good.

3 Likes

Its serious medication for a not so serious illness.
Its a joke.

1 Like