Schizophrenia.com

If you were Colonel Custer what would you have done differently?

Hindsight is 20/20…

Rename to Colonel Bologna. No one with english as a second language has a chance.

3 Likes

Probably not be so poor in judgement but that is hindsight.

I’m sure he was living the dream till the end…it was a famous end. I think going in your sleep will be nice…no one but those close will shed a tear as I move into light.

3 Likes

I would of done it in the study with the wrench

2 Likes

I think I would have checked my arrogance and hubris. He led a suicide mission, all In the name of glory.

How we won, or rather stole, our countries from its native peoples has never sat well with me, ever since I read a book in grade 6 written from the perspective of one of the early missionaries.

He spoke of a generous and welcoming people. When war with them began, their response was defensive, not offensive.

All that aside, in my eyes Custer was a fool, not a hero

1 Like

As someone who failed nearly every history class I’ve ever taken, I can honestly say my entire knowledge of Colonel Custer comes from the Bugs Bunny skit where Elmer Fudd was Colonel Custard and he had his last custard stand that Bugs Bunny destroyed eventually. LMK if this is not a historically accurate portrayal.

6 Likes

Are we talking about General George Armstrong Custer whose cavalry got annihilated at Little Bighorn?

1 Like

Yep. I wasn’t sure if he was a General or a Colonel.

So, Mrs Custer goes to an artist and asks the artist to paint a picture of the last thing her late husband saw. When the painting was complete, he unveiled it to Mrs Custer. She was aghast. She said, “I asked you to paint my husband’s last thoughts and you paint angelic cows having sex with Indians?” He says, Mrs Custer, that was your husbands last thoughts. “Holy cow, look at all those fscking Indians.”

3 Likes

Good one…

1 Like

If memory serves, I think he was a colonel. His motivation in war was to be named a general, the highest honour in military It seems he sought that, up to and inclding the point of sacrificing his own men in vain

@alien99 :rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

He was a General in the Civil War. He was mustered out and came back to the 7th cavalry as a Colonel. It’s customary to refer to an officer as the highest rank he’d attained, which in his case, was Brevet Major General.

2 Likes

@alien99 I wasn’t sure if he had attained General. My history on the topic is pretty Rusty

1 Like

No worries mate. I’m big on military history. Favorite movie is Gettysburg (came out in 1993). It’s 4 hours, but worth every minute. Soundtrack is cool AF too.

2 Likes

LOL, realized I never answered OP’s question. What would I have done differently? Quietly retreated and come back with a force 10 times larger. (US Army doctrine is to outnumber the opponent by a 10:1 ratio.)

1 Like

I would have used the rope in the Conservatory.

What?

Sorry. Thought you said Colonel Mustard.

1 Like

Hi @77nick77 - I see you’ve been thinking about Native Americans lately!

I had to chime in bc there was a flick I was able to take in about a month ago on Custer and the 7th Cavalry.

It’s called “Son of the Morning Star” a two part movie that was made in like 1990… it has some 80s type sounds throughout.

Apparently Custer didn’t even suffer a scratch in the Civil War, which dumbfounded people, and I think the story goes he was promoted.

The movie portrays him sympathetically, apparently I think it was the plains Indians - the Cheyenne sort of fell back - and grouped with The Sioux, but they didn’t scalp him.

The movie attempts storytelling from both sides and does have nuances…

I would say try the movie, but it’s difficult to find. We got a copy from some Vermont movie store, but the video had aged a lot - so not as good as when they showed it to us in the 6th grade.

1 Like

o so many mistakes by custer, namely joining the military. he could have just watched re runs of friends or seinfeld or something i don’t know. but those were different times, maybe the military is a necessary evil, and the settlers needed protection as they pushed west onto native american lands? i think for me, my motto is, don’t make history, come along after the dust has settled and steal a paycheck from one of the locals haha.

1 Like

Friends? Seinfeld? That’s impossible. How could they watch those, they didn’t even have couches back then?

1 Like