If you were allowed to live in a Mental Facility and leave during the day

Would you do it? Doing that kinda reminds me of the military. I guess it would be cool for the first couple of weeks. Wouldn’t have to worry about food or housing.

6 Likes

They did away with mental institutions.
Wonder if they will ever come back?

2 Likes

I’ve been to a mental facility and I plan on working at one.

3 Likes

I would love to do it! I like to be among other people with mental disorders.

4 Likes

I basically did that once, when I did PHP aka partial hospitalization. You stay all day, but get to come home at the end. I refused to do inpatient even though they wanted me to at the time because they said they wouldn’t have allowed me to bring my homework or leave to take exams.

3 Likes

I would be prefer to be home with pets and freedoms

2 Likes

There are still some psychiatric hospitals that house patients long term but it’s pretty rare these days, at least in the US.

The Napa State Hospital in California is one such example, although less than 20% of the patients there are under civil commitment. Sadly, the son of a family friend is under civil commitment there.

http://www.dsh.ca.gov/Napa/

3 Likes

There is a very famous State Psychiatric Hospital near my house that houses patients long term.

Patients are allowed to leave the Hospital during the day for a set time and return later.

It’s got a swimming pool, outdoor track area, etc…

6 Likes

Sounds good to me @Wave

2 Likes

Yes I would do it. I have kids so I’d like to come home to them but I need to work on me. Something I don’t really have time for. Plus it would be cool to meet new people.

2 Likes

No there probably wouldn’t be enough freedom like parking and late curfews. Plus being around crazy people is tiring. It is much better when they are treated…

3 Likes

@anon62973308 you would have hated the assisted living facility I was in. It was just a normal house with 10 people and 2 bathrooms.

2 Likes

@TheBest 10 people & 2 shared bathrooms… That’s a tough way to live.

3 Likes

I could think of better housing options I’d rather try. After living in a mental facility for 8 months years ago I think I’d be happier living in a sewer in Calcutta than one of those places again.

2 Likes

Ten/fifteen years ago I would have absolutely lived in a place like that. But now my life is much better and I like having my freedoms and isolation.

2 Likes

It would be more therapeutic to be there during the day and go home at night I would think.

It’s called day treatment. I went to one two week session three times in a row

2 Likes

Depends. I really don’t mind the company of sane people. Some of the people at my friend’s group home are really nice and they have cleaning duty so everything is clean and there is dinners and trips to places… My friend seems to be doing ok there. I don’t really care where I live right now as long as there is no curfew and I can get to work.

2 Likes

At least I’d have a good chance of making friends.

1 Like

I wouldnt do it i dont want to be surrounded by crazy people

1 Like