If you were a dessert, what kind of dessert would you be?

Any discussion of Barbara Walters’ trademark primetime interview specials inevitably winds back to the famous question: “If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?”

Except that she never delivered that query in quite in that way, even though it has become apocryphal punchline.

SEE ALSO: Barbara Walters: Her View on 50 Years in the News Biz

The tree moment cropped up during Walters’ 1981 interview of Katharine Hepburn, who described herself as feeling like a very strong “tree” in her old age. Walters pressed her on “what kind of tree are you?” To which Hepburn said she preferred to be an oak rather than an elm, in order to avoid Dutch elm disease.

I just looked on Google maps and the Oak Tree that was at childhood home, is still standing and it was old back then, love the oak tree, can’t blame Hepburn for wanting to be that tree

5 Likes

that’s pretty smart.

if I was a tree then I’d be an apple tree, especially with green apples. I like green apples.

2 Likes

I bought an apple yesterday! (not the edible kind)

2 Likes

a steak. definitely a steak

3 Likes

If I could be any dessert, I would want to be my Mum’s chocolate mousse because it’s really rich :blush:

3 Likes

I would be the Sahara Desert :confused:

2 Likes

yeah, my mom used to buy apples and fruits; then put them on her table for aesthetics. It was great and all, but then the fruits would rot. and when my brother and I were tempted to eat the fruits before they rot, we would get in trouble. my mom bought fake flowers, I couldn’t see why not buy fake fruits as well. But I don’t know much about aesthetics… especially when studying ways to restrain my omninous mentality is more important

3 Likes

I don’t want to be eaten.

3 Likes

Then stop being so tasty!

2 Likes

Yeah I always get given gifts for the table, like my grandma buys me candles and mats and stuff, but I don’t go in for much decoration these days. I tend to just eat off a paper plate.

2 Likes

Egg custard or flan.

1 Like

Only lactating mothers are tasty.

3 Likes

Pudding. Plain, simple, sweet, and goes down easy.

2 Likes

Well your picture does show a glass of milk so I’m not sure what to make of that…

<3 Milk

4 Likes

It’s soy milk. “I am what I drink.” doesn’t apply here.

2 Likes

“Yo soy milk!” Spanish milk introducing himself

6 Likes

Lol. Soy leche!!!

2 Likes

I’d be FRIED ICE CREAM.

4 Likes

Hot caramel or toffee

2 Likes