Schizophrenia.com

“If you’re really smart, your genes for schizophrenia don’t have much of a chance of acting,”

What really predicted risk for schizophrenia is how much you deviate from the predicted IQ that we get from your relatives. If you’re quite a bit lower, that carries a high risk for schizophrenia. Not achieving the IQ that you should have based on your genetic constitution and family background seems to most strongly predispose for schizophrenia.”

For the study, researchers assessed the IQs of more than 1.2 million Swedish males (ages 18-to-20) born between 1951 and 1975. Schizophrenia-related hospitalization was tracked for 24 years until 2010. Subjects with a lower IQ than their siblings were at the greatest risk for developing schizophrenia.

I’m a lot slower than my predicted IQ. I could easily tell this at the dinner table my whole life. Everyone in my family is good at telling stories. I could never explain something from a movie or something like that. I always wondered why I couldn’t keep up with them.

Interesting. Idon’t think I have lower IQs than my parents though. Probably the same as my dad and a good amount higher than my mom. However all my life I couldn’t participate much at dinner time because of anxiety and stuff and had cogitive deficits. But now I’m like “another point of view in our family” and an interesting one too. I don’t think people would know I have schizophrenia anymore although my family does think so still, because of the past.

So basically, what they’re saying is that if someone doesn’t reach their full potential, for an example if they’re heavily understimulated or denied opportunity to develop properly, there’s a greater risk of schizophrenia.
I gotta say, it kind of makes sense.

With me, I had very high standardized test scores through 5th grade. Like top 5 in my entire grade in math. And good at other things too. And then I just started slipping after that. Plus my parents are smart/successful.no one ever did anything to help me or anything. Just remember my guidance counselor told my mom “well he doesn’t have a learning disability…”

This was 15 years ago I started slipping. Well I gues they didn’t know as much back then. It was still a thing they’d rather not deal with unless they really have to, due to lack of understanding.

I gotta say my road post high school was about as bad as it could have been almost, for a while. But hey I think I’m finding my true potential now. Hope it’s just not too late. It’s not.

Me, for an example. I was always an intelligent child. But I was punished for reading ahead in the textbooks and never really got challenged with schoolwork I found too easy for my reading level.

I was also denied the opportunity to develop properly socially due to bullying and being ostracized from an early age. My social development took a hit, and it turned into a negative spiral where I was bullied for being weird, but I kept being weird because I never got a chance to practice and learn new behaviours.

So in more than one way, I’ve been understimulated most of my childhood and early teens.

Going by the OPs post you can be smart and still develop schizophrenia . For example you 132 IQ (top 2%) and parents and siblings 150. You’re well above average , but quite some distance from the other members of your family.

Sometimes I just want the intelligence to ■■■■ itself off, it doesn’t determine your success at school. You need hard work too and that’s what makes you succeed, intelligence by it’s own doesn’t do nothing…

Which came first: the lower IQ or the schizophrenia?

This is one of the reasons I tried to get a physics degree in college. I noticed my mom before she died had symptoms resembling Alzheimer’s so I somewhat reasoned that doing a lot of problem solving would be therapeutic for me.

I think that was partially true: I think doing hard logical work delayed my eventual breakdown somewhat but it would have been more effective for me if the physics problems hadn’t gotten too difficult for me to solve that they stopped being a source of positive reinforcement and sense of accomplishment.

I sometimes wonder if someone like Richard Feynmann might have been considered pretty delusional if they hadn’t had a lot of formal training in science. I also wonder if Steven Hawking owed much of his extended survival to his rigorous investigations of physics.

That is also one of the curious things I wondered about John Nash: did he flunk physics or what might have happened to him if he had pursued a career in physical sciences rather than math? (and Kurt Godel is another example.)

When I got schizophrenia my reading level dropped from college level to 7th grade, I feel like schizophrenia makes it harder to learn.

I guess my argument is that learning physics, biology and chemistry might provide better cognitive frameworks for testing everyday reality than pursuits in theoretical math and computer science.

I’m smarter than everyone else in my family, so this doesn’t really apply that well to me.

Maybe my mom was smarter than me before she started drinking. I don’t know.

There are plenty of smart folk on this forum

I’m the smartest in my immediate family and maybe extended family. I was also the most successful until sz cut me down

I was a straight A student until this disease brought me down

My two siblings is university graduate,while I am secondary graduate only.I was always a lot least smarter then them by a lot.I really hope I ain’t smart but didn’t get mental health issue

I think the lowered IQ comes from the effects of the prodomal phase and the illness itself along with the isolation many of us experience. You have to be a part of the World in order to learn. I think my IQ would be quite a bit less if it weren’t for the meds as the voices would keep me from showing any intelligence, and learning anything more. I remember trying to read the newspaper under full psychosis and not getting past the first 2 pages in 2 hours. Plus I’ve noticed that the voices never taught me anything I didn’t already know. That’s just how it is.

I think as with all these theories there will be exceptions to the rule. The question is are you more likely to have sz if your IQ is lower than your parents or siblings?

My own doc remarked that my alleged “high intelligence” had considerably delayed the onset of sz in my case. My memory is a bit skaky at the moment, but I’m hoping it will return, as the impact of negative symptoms needs to be factored in in order to make a long term assessment. But then again, being able to mask symptoms could also make me underestimate the importance of a structured, and compliant, road towards recovery.

Thank you for your input. However, I disagree with you. My entire life (elementary - highschool) everyone around me would always tell me that I’m very smart. Despite this, I developed Schizophrenia at the end of highschool anyway.