If you could write your own prescriptions, would you change your pdoc's recommendations?

You can magically have any drug you choose to treat your mental illnesses.

Do you keep your current regimen,

Or change it up?

5 Likes

My pdoc has done a very good job with me. It’s not perfect. I still have depression/negatives. But he’s very creative, think outside the box kinda guy. My medication regimen seems to be different than a lot that I’ve heard around here.

So yes, I would keep my med regimen.

4 Likes

Only thing I would change is adding a PRN for anxiety when it gets hard.

That could be my drug seeking behavior raising its head, so I’m weary of the idea, but do believe I could benefit from having my mom or fiancée in control of some.

Maybe 10 a month. Nothing more.

Good one Mr. Gabel.

4 Likes

I want to try Geodon but my Dr won’t prescribe it. Ritalin or Adderall too.

3 Likes

I’m afraid to change a thing at this point. Better the devil you know.

3 Likes

I’ve abused and been addicted to pills before.

I was a talented drug seeker.

So now, every time I need an increase in klonopin,

Or pain pills for something legit,

I feel bad.

Like I’m doing something wrong.

I think most everyone here could benefit from a PRN.

Sometimes things get too weird and you need it.

Anyway, I’m just saying if you need it and have a plan to not be in control of them,

You should ask.

3 Likes

Adderall helps. I have it as a PRN. I don’t like to take it everyday, or often.

It’s not perfect, it doesn’t feel like it hits the depth of the negative, but it makes your brain more up, better mood, more focused, more able to do things. I’m not taking it right now, because my depression has turned to agitation and I’m afraid of what will happen. But I wish you could get it, too.

2 Likes

I am happy with my meds. But I might try to decrease Latuda, if it was up to me.

I take Latuda, Seroquel, and Lithium Carbonate.

2 Likes

I would add Seroquel back on, for sleep. I sleep okay on olanzapine but I miss that deep deep drugged up slumber

3 Likes

I would lower my dose of Rexulti from 2mg to 1mg and hope that it was still effective.

1 Like

If I could afford it I think I’d go back to the Invega shot

2 Likes

Opioid antagonists are associated with a reduction in the symptoms of schizophrenia: a meta-analysis of controlled trials | Neuropsychopharmacology I would switch to some type of opioid it would curb my cravings and also help with psychosis according to this study.

1 Like

I would do a wash-out, then add tranylcypromine (Parnate). If that failed to address my apathy, I would try adding methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta), and if that failed, substitute an amphetamine (eg. Dexedrine). If I noticed signs of positive symptoms, I would try amisulpride.

-Albert.

2 Likes

They recommended an antidepressant for a while, first they recommended prozac, then sertraline.

Then seroquel instead of abilify due to mood properties

I resisted like a true rebel.

3 Likes

I’m on aripiprazole and quetiapine for sleep. I am happy with the medication I’m on. I wouldn’t change it.

4 Likes

I’ve done a lot of abusing bupropion as stimulant, but along clozapine, I feel like I need stimulant during the day.
As a abuser of wellbutrin, it’s not posible, and since I take care of my self, no way I would take speed.

3 Likes

I am content with my current med regimen:

Caplyta, Lamictal, Effexor XR, Trazodone, Cogentin, and Vistaril

1 Like

My pdoc lets me decide what and how much of everything I take, they always have, it’s my body.

2 Likes

My pdoc suggested Lurasidone for schizophrenia and that has worked out great so far, so I wouldn’t change that.

When it came to my insomnia it was me that requested all the meds I tried from 2 different doctors, but they knew what the other was prescribing… I requested gabapentin, promethazine, zolpidem, zopiclone, trazodone and finally asked for clonazepam prescription for sleep and they agreed to let me try all of them.

2 Likes

My current pdoc is the best pdoc I’ve had in nearly 40 years of psychiatric care. He refuses to let Washington bureaucrats tell him what prescriptions he can write or not write, and he doesn’t care how many times he gets flagged (he has over 40 years of experience).

We’re a team, so I can change my meds whenever I want, but I’m fine with my current med regimen.

5 Likes