If i was more personable i would consider becoming a personal trainer

i thought about doing that in my 20’s. i even bought some materials to become certified but never went through with it, studying and taking the test.

i think it can be a tough career, seems to be oriented towards young people, and you have to build up a client base.

my sister got a degree in health and fitness, and was a personal trainer before she had kids. she kind of had a niche market because she is female and most of her clients were women who felt more comfortable with another female. she told me she charged $120/hr for training sessions, but some of that went to the gym she worked for. she still trains some of her friends in her garage she has turned into a gym.

personally i would be happy making $15-$20/hr but i don’t think i could do it anymore. i doubt my social skills and my enthusiasm for the job. i think it would be alot like coaching a sport, where you have to bring your best energy everyday and try to encourage your clients. i just wonder if i would burn out.

anyways my sister has a degree, but a degree is not necessary in america, you can get certified by taking a test in my state, and multiple companies offer study materials for sale to help you prepare. then it would be a lot of staying current with the times, and a little individual study during your off time.

2 Likes

If you think you’d like it, it may not be hard to bring your A game to the sessions.

2 Likes

I can technically be a trainer as I have a degree in kinesiology but my negative symptoms prevent me from doing it. I can also work as a physiotherapist in a clinic. To open my own clinic I needed to do a few more business courses but I didnt do them.

1 Like

it would have been a good career for me when i was younger. now i just wonder what my shelf life would be? could i really do it for 15 years until im 50 years old? seems more like a 20 to 40 years old thing, but i dont know. my brother’s wife’s brother is also a personal trainer out in arizona i went to a session with him once, he really knows his stuff. now he is obese i heard, he looked like a NFL free safety when i was with him 8 years ago. haven’t seen him since.

1 Like

my sister is considering trying to be a public school gym teacher in a couple years when her kids are a little older. that would be good, she would get a pension when she is retired, except for all the school fights happen in gym class. wouldn’t like that aspect of it.

1 Like

It would certainly be difficult for a schizophrenic to be a personal trainer. I think one of the hardest parts would be motivating your clients when so many schizophrenics have a hard time motivating themselves.

And also, you would have to get in good shape yourself; I mean who’s going to want a personal trainer with a belly, gets tired easily, and has a lousy physique and isn’t in top physical shape themselves?

And a lot of being in shape is your mentality. You have to be a sharp and self motivated, confident, and serve as an example to your clients.

It would be tough for sure. I don’t know a lot about being a personal trainer but my ex-brother-in-law was one for years.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.