If gp and psychiatrist think you may be experiencing psychosis are they compelled to intervene?

And push antipsychotics?

Depends on how dangerous you are and where you live

3 Likes

For me actually it was pretty hard to get APs. I told many Drs I had dangerous voices, they said its all stress and never took me seriously until I tried to kill myself a second time and landing in the emergency for Tylenol poisoning.

1 Like

They’re free to do what they want and so are you. But they should only force it in very dangerous situations.

4 Likes

when i first got diagnosed they forced ads and aps
i was pretty messed up though trying suicide several times

1 Like

By compelled do you mean by law or by duty or ideology or morality / ethics? I wonder about this myself what compels to treat in some situations

1 Like

I’m not dangerous, seems like they can come up with any excuse to meet the criteria. My previous psychiatrist was of the opinion I should be on antipsychotics for life and institutionalised just on the basis of diagnosis, he has left since thankfully. I was stable for years before I was forced antipsychotics only due to a schizophrenia diagnosis and the fact I did not want to take meds. He dug up events from many years ago in an attempt to justify a cto. The gp and mho rubberstamped the order without any asessment.

“The person is likely to be suffering from a mental disorder. Treatment is available which is likely to prevent the mental disorder worsening or alleviate symptoms or effects.”

This is one of the criteria.

I have to see a gp because I need medical evidence. I am already on enhanced rate disability. UC needs evidence that I am unable to work. Maybe I could benefit from support, if the team was reasonable, it’s a gamble. I will have to be careful what I say to them.

1 Like

If you have schizophrenia you are super easy to bully. If you can be independent I would advise that as much as possible. If you think you need support then you will have to take the risk, but it is a risk. I’m going to keep taking meds because “community” “Team” and “staff” got too much analogy that I don’t like.

No they just suggest that you should take them. Unless your a danger to others.

For several years i told my doctor i was having auditory hallucinations but i was managing ok. So he said as long as I was managing he wasnt going to send me to the psychiatrist

Not the case in my previous experience. I saw my GP and he is not willing to refer me to cmht which is good I guess.

Your gp should definitely refer you if your having severe symptoms

I had this discussion with a doctor a couple of weeks back. It was understood that I was managing my symptoms well and maintaining my insight. Was congratulated and told to keep doing what I’m doing.

1 Like

@shutterbug thats good to hear. Yeah doctors that are flexible are pretty helpful.
I think because we have all our coping skills and stuff in place that the doctor is ok with how we are managing.

1 Like

I try my hardest to follow their guidance and if I can’t then I’m honest about why and when and where things went off the rails. I’m also careful not to do things without asking first (except for the curcumin supplement - dumb). You can never go wrong by building trust with your treatment providers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.