If a tree falls in the forrest

And none are around…does it still make a sound?

I think i have the answer…

sound is a vibration… the vibration enters the ear and is percieved as sound… if their are no instruments…ears… to convert the vibration into sound then yes it would send off vibrations but no it would not actually be making a sound… lol… nailed it?

5 Likes

Best answer I’ve heard to that question yet !

2 Likes

without someone to hear it, it doesn’t make a sound.

In a forest there might still be small animals , birds… as long as there is an observer, the sound has happened. If we talk about a completely deserted forest, then I agree with you flame.

3 Likes

That almost makes sense to me. A lot of quantum mechanics is counter intuitive.

Yea it would have to be void of all vibration to sound converting devices for this to be true…

What it there’s a tape player recording the event, is there sound? A human hasn’t heard it… yet. Is it sound when the tape is played? What if the tape is never played?

1 Like

Another consideration is if God is omniscient does he hear it. Does anything happen without God’s knowledge? But yeah I think you nailed it haha.

The real answer is that sound is propagated by air being displaced or water if you’re under water. That is sound. Hearing it has nothing to do with the sound being valid. Therefore the questions is did the tree displace the air, and the answer is yes, it had to … trees don’t live in a vaccume

3 Likes

another consideration is that if God is omnipresent, he is the tree that falls on the ground, which is also God. and he is the sound.

I’ve always liked pantheism; that God is in everything.

1 Like

not “in” everything. everything.

1 Like

Maybe it’s a computer simulation… any hackers out there?

1 Like

if the world ended would the universe still exist?

1 Like

Wells there’s an idea that at my death, I don’t die everything else goes away.

But moreover if the universe collapsed into a singularity the singularity would still exist and then probably explode

1 Like

The damn bugs would ■■■■ themselves if a tree fell in the forest.

5 Likes

If a tree fell and nobody was around to hear it, I’d feel bad for that lonely tree :cry:

1 Like

i would say yes it still makes a sound because it still makes a vibration. sound = vibration and vibration = sound, reguardless of what sound frequencies waves a creature is capable of hearing.

Even if a creature is there who can not hear the sound/vibration, that sound/vibration is sill going to happen.

1 Like

I can’t hear a bat sound but bats still make sounds that they can hear.

Check mate.

3 Likes

You hear sound… if a tree fell next to a deaf person… due to being unable to convert the vibrations to audible noise… they may feel the tree fall… but it would be impossible for them to hear it… so its simply a vibration until its converted within the ear…

Sound is a perception of a vibration through a specialized mechanism…

So with the question of would the vibration be heard. I still say no… not without something to convert the vibration in the air to an actual sound… but yes it would still displace the air around it…

1 Like