I wish I had more practical hobbies as a kid

I feel if I had more practical hobbies as a kid it would’ve set the foundation for my career as an adult. For example I realize, you can do 1 billion things wrong but if you do one thing really really good then you can make it in this world. If you do 1 billion things decent and nothing great, you can be a complete failure. Although you don’t have to because if you do 1 billion things decent you should be able to find some Strengths.

But regardless, I wish I had got into farming or something as a kid so I could do that for a career now because I feel the younger you start something the better you are at it

2 Likes

I started gardening last week. Learning to grow zuccini, lettuce,chilli peppers,and some herbs. I’ve been learning to write and run programs with a microcontroller. Two totally different things, but hey it’s Never too late to start new things. I’m 30 years old

5 Likes

I’m into r/c. It’s expensive. I like sports cars too. Also expensive. I don’t have money to spend on that stuff so I’m reduced to looking at pics on Google. Really sad.

3 Likes

I wish I had learned a second language.

I wish I’d been diagnosed w narcolepsy sooner so I could’ve actually been able to have hobbies as an older teen/young adult. I think maybe a contributing factor to my depression was that I couldn’t focus on anything and had to put what little energy I had into important necessary things so I never did things I liked anymore. I feel like I missed out on so many years of time where I could’ve been improving certain skills or learning new things or just having fun because of it. I can’t even imagine life without modafinil now. Really don’t know how I made it through college.

2 Likes

Forget the past!!!

3 Likes

I learned to cook Mediterranean foods in my 30s. Yum

4 Likes

That sounds pretty tasty :yum::blush::blush:

Yeah, I wish when I was in fourth grade that I had taken up rocket science. You never know when it’s going to come in handy. Or instead of collecting coins in sixth grade I should have practiced my joint rolling skills so when I got to high school I would have been faster.

6 Likes

I agree but it’s not as much about the past as the fact the present isn’t easy for me to do anything. I feel I didn’t build a big enough foundation for success as a kid. And I put all my eggs in one basket. And it was too heavy and I dropped it and all the eggs broke :face_with_thermometer:. I try to live present tho.

2 Likes

animals were always my hobby, but i wasn’t allowed to keep certain kinds of pets as a kid. mostly cats. my first frog a northern leopard frog named kermit my brother um eliminated it. i didn’t get my first official herp until i was 23 or 24 that was speckles a eastern tiger salamander. i got him for free from my in laws because they didn’t do the research into taking care of him.

before i got sick and while i was in high school i was told by a guidance counselor i was too stupid for vet school. and i went to school instead for computer electrical engineering because i liked computers and other other electronics but i dropped out after three years.

You can definitely do animal care still. I know you do it already for your in laws and your own pets but it’s not too late to do it professionally either! It’s something I’ve considered doing as well.

i thought about it but i may have to wait until my mind is more stable. i still have voices to be honest and high anxiety. i cried last night before taking my second doses of lithium and my amitriptyline.

no one thinks i can do it, my partner says she thinks i cant do it because i don’t handle stress well. my therapist said i can do it and she also said my partner may just be trying to protect me from failure. she knows i took dropping out of school and getting fired from my job really hard.

another animal i’m going to be in charge of is my partner’s uncle’s dog next weekend. they are only giving me thirty dollars. but he will be staying in the apartment with me. his name is sonic he is a beagle/lab mix

1 Like

Beagle/ lab sounds sooo cute

hes a good dog, about 8 or 9 years old. i’m going to surprise his owners by giving him a bath. they don’t bathe him very often because the parents work and all but one of their kids are really lazy.

Interesting viewpoint. I didn’t do anything really well as a kid either. I thought I could draw and write poetry. But, looking at it now, Ugh.

1 Like

It’s never too late!!

2 Likes

@Israel_Pearce

I also do r/c. Mostly sailboats and nitro buggies. Tried helicopters but that was a bust. But you are right it adds up quickly.

@Jonnybegood

I managed an associate’s in accounting cuz I’m good with numbers and categories but I feel I could have made a go with music though my parents decided beer and cigs were more important than a saxophone. So I had dreams just not the means.

1 Like

I was really good at drawing, playing piano, and reading.

I’ve never been practical or good with manual tasks. Drawing? Level of a not very good 6-7 year old. Piano? Had lessons for 5 years and never got good enough to take grade 1. Metalwork and woodwork? Sucked at them both.