I was Overstimulated Yesterday

Yesterday, I went into Walmart and everything was bright, loud, and noisy. I felt overwhelmed and felt like I was going to get a panic attack. It was so bad that I had to wear my sunglasses and had to ask my mom to leave early. Then we went to this restaurant. I was so nervous. I could hear every clatter and chatter there. I could pick apart each stimulus. It’s like I could hear dozens or hundreds of things going on independently and I couldn’t turn it off. It was freaking me out internally. I was sweating and feeling like I was going to shake. The best analogy is it’s like hearing voices. It’s so distracting and terrifying. On top of that, I started getting racing thoughts, delusional thoughts, and felt like I was going to freak out. I took my medication and it kind of helped. I was heavily sedated but I still had anxiety and delusions. This lasted until I got home and went to bed.

This is so disabling.

I want to know if anyone else gets this? And if so, how do you deal with it? Also, is this psychosis? What do you call it?

1 Like

This actually happens to me like every day.

1 Like

That sucks man. How do you deal with it? It tends to happen to me when I go out in public for too long or go to busy places. I wonder if it’s all the caffeine I take.

I go through anxiety/panic attacks almost like everyday but today i did not. I think i might be overstimulated by my environment. When i feel one coming on i take my medication then tell my mom and sister what is going on. My anxiety attack causes me to not be able to breathe or swallow. Sometimes i feel like i’m going through psychosis which are psychotic like thoughts.They last until i go to bed. But i feel exercising or going to the gym in the morning helps.

1 Like

I would say this is definite. I caffeinate myself to deal with the flat feeling and sedation. Then my head starts getting noisey. Right now I’m highly annoyed by voices, but I’m waiting to get off work and do some cardio, before I take my AP and klonopin. I can’t wait to take them. :scream:

I feel like my work is haunted with all the little whispering and ■■■■ I’m hearing. But I know it’s from the white noise of the fans.

Stop taking it and see what happens. :relieved: :relieved: :expressionless:

But beyond that, sz is in part produced by excessive dopamine in the neural chain that starts at the insula
(see Insular cortex - Wikipedia) which is connected to the amygdala
(see Amygdala - Wikipedia) which is connected to the hypothalamus
(see Hypothalamus - Wikipedia) which is connected to the pituitary gland (see Pituitary gland - Wikipedia) which blows out hormones to (among other places) the adrenal cortex (see Adrenal gland - Wikipedia).

When this occurs, fight or flight is the result. See

2 Likes

This also happens to me… when I’m going to new places… or out of my comfort zone… anxiety starts kicking in and then so does the head circus.

I usually have to leave and decompress. A bath… talking to someone who is understanding… sitting alone in a quiet place does help.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

1 Like

Shopping malls are auditory battlefields.
Everyone is making noise and everyone has to talk louder than the noise to all their friends and phones.
I avoid them if I can and brace myself for the assault if I can’t but I don’t get panic attacks. I just dissociate a little.

Loud noises and touch always triggers the fight or flight response in my brain. But you can fight that impulse.

1 Like

I HATE malls… the noisy T.V.s spouting ads… the constant loop of piped in music… the people… the clatter of it all… I can’t take it.