I want to work

But it takes me a while to learn things and I would just get flustered easily. I guess I will give it a couple of months and test myself to see if I could cut it.

9 Likes

Good luck with trying! I need to find a job when I get back to Arkansas, but it needs to be not people-oriented, since I’m bad with people. Even repetitive human interaction would make me so stressed out all the time.

3 Likes

Your current job is in the academic world if I remember correctly. Do you want to continue with that in Arkansas?

This job stresses me out. I used to love it, but it brings me a lot of anxiety these days.

2 Likes

I want to go back to work one day, too, but my psychiatrist thinks I’m still too unstable to risk the stress. I think if I can stay stable in these meds for another year or so that I’ll try.

2 Likes

I just need to be really well trained. I just know I will get thrown onto a cash register without much training or something like that. I’m really worried something like that would happen. I don’t like dealing with people either.

My hands sweat at the idea of being put on a register to work. That is not my forte at all. :frowning: Having to talk to hundreds of people a day would drive me up a wall, touching their money, touching their hands by accident while trying to take cash from the people who pay in cash, having to count and hand back cash. D: Just no.

2 Likes

I did it before at a movie theater it wasn’t bad. My brain has just got so much worse. I can’t think myself out of a paper bag.

1 Like

Me too. I used to be a cashier when I was young. At a McDonalds, at a Dairy Queen and at a small grocery store. I could never do it now.

1 Like

I still have a lot of cognitive ability, but the stress and anxiety are the real killer.

1 Like

Use your cognitive ability while you have it. Once you lose it everything is so much harder.

1 Like

I think I will figure it out. I will just assess myself every couple of months to see if I can work. I might be ready in 2 months or 2 years I’m really not sure.

I’m desperate to go back to work. I worked as a cashier before I got sick and enjoyed it. I’ve also worked at a call center in the past. I don’t think a stressful job like the aforementioned ones would suit me now though; definitely don’t want to risk another breakdown.

1 Like

I just don’t want to get a job and quit within the first month. I want to stick with it if I get one. Probably washing dishes would be the best thing for me to do.

1 Like

I hear you. I’m afraid of doing that very thing myself. Washing dishes sounds great, to be honest. :smile: Best of luck to you.

1 Like

Thanks @antidepressant044. Hope everything works out for you as well.

1 Like

There’s a couple of pizza places near where I live. I might apply for a dishwashing job sometime next week.

2 Likes

Work is great theropy I think everyone can do something it’s all about finding what fits you. Some jobs don’t pay and some people can only work a few hours a day But I think we should keep looking until we find something no matter how small a job it is.

1 Like

I just applied for a job in production at Pizza hut. Hopefully they just let me wash dishes or something.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s good to make an attempt. If you don’t attempt to have a job you won’t get one.

I’ve had about thirty jobs in my lifetime and I’m 57. Some were hard to learn and some were less difficult to learn. None of them were easy except my current job as a janitor, but even here I had to learn some tricks and how to do stuff. But I’ve been fired from at least 10 of them but I go out and get new ones and some of the jobs I excel. I can’t succeed at all of them.

Most jobs have a learning curve where they understand you are new and allow you some mistakes without freaking out. At most of my jobs I spent the first few days or even a week asking questions about where stuff went, or how to do this or that. Asking questions at new jobs is normal.

I just lucked into my current job. It has so many +'s to it. I get to work part time and I don’t have to be there until 8:30 am and I get off at 2:30 pm. Great hours! I’ve had several jobs that I had to be there at 6:00 am and I didn’t like that. I get to work by myself most of the time, I punch in, then boss says to vacuum the north side of the building so I am of on my own the rest of the day but it’s an office building and I have to be around the office workers a lot. Which is good actually. I get to take my lunch by myself in my car listening to the radio. There are 4 or 5 vending machines scattered around the building so I always stop when I feel like it and drink a soda.

I am just telling you all this about my job to illustrate that it’s possible to luck into some job where everything clicks and there are more advantages than disadvantages. But like I said, if you don’t try, you won’t get one.

2 Likes